Could my family have had coronavirus in December?

I hadn’t considered it before but then I saw an article explaining how a lot of people get gastrointestinal symptoms before the respiratory ones kick in.

In December, my entire extended family of 11 got sick. For 7 of us, it began with nausea and vomiting. Of the remaining 4, 2 had nausea and/or intestinal cramping, and 2 had no stomach issues at all. For those with GI symptoms, they went away completely within half a day.

Once that was done, the respiratory symptoms started, and they were severe. A dry cough that wouldn’t go away and led to asthma attacks, plus shortness of breath even in family members without asthma.

Every one of us also had a high fever which was difficult to break. It lasted a few days, starting before any other symptoms.

We all got sick somewhere between a few days before Christmas and a couple days after.

The symptoms don’t match the flu or anything else we’d heard of, so we were very confused what we had. Now it does sound like the coronavirus, but the catch is we live on the west coast of the US. The first confirmed case there wasn’t until quite a bit later.

Is it still possible we had the coronavirus?

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Yes you can per the following article.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-11/bay-area-coronavirus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california

"“The virus was freewheeling in our community and probably has been here for quite some time,” Dr. Jeff Smith, a physician who is the chief executive of Santa Clara County government, told county leaders in a recent briefing.

But Smith on Friday said data collected by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, local health departments and others suggest it was “a lot longer than we first believed” — most likely since “back in December.”"