Could a 100-year-old vaccine protect against COVID-19?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
For example, one study conducted in Guinea-Bissau in West Africa found that children who were vaccinated with BCG had about a 50% reduction in overall morality, largely because the vaccine reduced respiratory infections and sepsis, or blood poisoning, according to the medRxiv study.

Morality? Really? Lol.

For example, one study conducted in Guinea-Bissau in West Africa found that children who were vaccinated with BCG had about a 50% reduction in overall morality, largely because the vaccine reduced respiratory infections and sepsis, or blood poisoning, according to the medRxiv study.

Morality? Really? Lol.
A simple type that was corrected.

Reactions: cecilia fx
Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I fear this may be clutching at straws. BCG was used in the UK from 1953 and most children were vaccinated . So anyone born in the UK after ~ 1940 should be protected. But people in their 60s and 70s who should be protected by BCG are badly affected by the disease and many die. However, there may be two reasons for this. First, anecdotally, a significant proportion of those dying are from immigrant communities who may not have been vaccinated. Second BCG was not compulsory - my mum was an early anti-vac before anti-vac was invented and so I was not vaccinated until I was in my 20s. Let's hope...

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
The counting method varies per country. Two important remarks regarding the statistics:

1• Belgium also counts the deaths of suspected Corona cases. On April 12th, the number of deaths tested positive was 1,954 out of a total of 3,600 deaths, that is just 54%. So, 46% was not tested.
That is why Belgium appears to have such a high mortality rate.
You might also consider that the mortality rate of other countries is actually much higher.
Source, Belgian national television website: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/04/12/liveblog-12-april/

2• Germany doesn't not count deaths of people who already had another pathology/disease.
Source, Italian newspaper: https://www.corriere.it/cronache/20_marzo_22/coronavirus-il-conteggio-morti-varia-paese-paese-germania-esclude-chi-ha-altre-patologie-6a452e6a-6c19-11ea-8403-94d97cb6fb9f.shtml
This might also be the case in Portugal, Denmark, Austria and Iran. This would explain their very low mortality rate compared to the number of illness cases.

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site

Morality? Really? Lol.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me. I was vaccinated and re-vaccinated with BCG, and I have hard to explain habits like lying for no reason.

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Several clinical trials around the world are now examining whether this vaccine could protect against this new foe.

Could a 100-year-old vaccine protect against COVID-19? : Read more
The first vaccines were made from live attenuated microorganisms or inactivated microorganisms.
In this case, the simplest vaccine is from live attenuated microorganisms (attenuated viruses injected in extremely small amounts) which gives the immune system time to react.
It has been shown that those receiving a smaller amount of covid virus19 have mild forms of the immune system having time to react.
Today's researchers have been a bit lazy and have forgotten the history of vaccines and are focusing on vaccines that contain recombinant proteins.
Vaccines containing live attenuated microorganisms can be produced in industrial quantities in a very short time and do not require a long test period of maximum 14 days!

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I fear this may be clutching at straws. BCG was used in the UK from 1953 and most children were vaccinated . So anyone born in the UK after ~ 1940 should be protected. But people in their 60s and 70s who should be protected by BCG are badly affected by the disease and many die. However, there may be two reasons for this. First, anecdotally, a significant proportion of those dying are from immigrant communities who may not have been vaccinated. Second BCG was not compulsory - my mum was an early anti-vac before anti-vac was invented and so I was not vaccinated until I was in my 20s. Let's hope...
Most countries vaccinate babies - often shortly after birth - but the UK vaccinated 12/13 hear olds from 1955 to 2005. So the oldest who could possibly have some protection would be 75 and the yongest 28. I don't know how quickly it was rolled out around the country. One issue would be whether there is a difference in effectiveness depending on the age of vaccination.

The countries whose BCG regime seems to have had the most impact on Covid 19 deaths are those that vaccinate at birth and follow up with a booster, and some revaccinate any who are not positive on the TST test. For example Hong Kong - 0.5 deaths per million, Singapore - 2 deaths per million, Japan - 2 deaths per million. Ant then there is Taiwan with 0.3 deaths per million who vaccinate at birth, age twelve and age 24!

Your second point about people from immigrant communities is more difficult as many of the countries they come from do have current ongoing vaccination programmes. But for example Pakistan introduced it at birth in 1978, So any Pakistani over 42 would likely not have had it. India vaccinated from birth from 1948. I don't know if anyone has done any analysis on the Pakistan/India breakdown of those affected in the UK.

May 13, 2020
Visit site
I had BCG inoculations after surgery to remove malignant epithelial cells on the lining of my bladder in 2010. Might those treatments have developed an immunity for me against the SARS-CoV-2?