Coronavirus in the US: Map, case counts and news

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.

Covar19

BANNED
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
I found an interesting site. My initial impression is it may be a solid data source.

U.S. Coronavirus Cases

We'll have to see how often it gets maintained (and how accurate it is).
Site doesn't list cases that are recovered. In fact, the John Hopkins site has stopped reporting recovered cases for the US since two days ago. Hard to determine the effectiveness of the US healthcare system without that data.

Covar19

BANNED
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Chance upon this website, which i think is quite useful. Basically they consolidate covid-19 news from all over the world and also share interesting and funny videos. The global coronavirus live counter is also quite accurate too.

That site seems to be a wrapper for the original John Hopkins site here:

Covar19

BANNED
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
I found an interesting site. My initial impression is it may be a solid data source.

U.S. Coronavirus Cases

We'll have to see how often it gets maintained (and how accurate it is).
I just crosschecked the above site (54867/782/378) with the John Hopkins site (55041/790/348) for US cases/deaths/recovered. Wonder why the discrepancy.

In any case, here is a plot of US deaths and recoveries. The trend from Mar 16 to present shows the rate of deaths outpacing that of recoveries, which indicates a dysfunctioning of healthcare systems.

Also, we know that testing is lagging and even might never catchup to the infection rate. So while the plot shows the US infection rate hitting 10 million Americans by Apr 15, social distancing should move that out a bit, how much to be determined by testing. The death rate projection of 10 million dead by the start of May, should be delayed some by the social distancing in place now.

One question not asked is have they figured in the 14 day stay on a ventilator into the needs estimates? There are reports from Italy of 20-day stays.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.07.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.07.45 PM.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
It looks like most (or a lot) of these maps are based on the Johns Hopkins data.

Here is another nice one that is all based on open source components and is highly customizable. You will see the author's discalaimer about an issue in the Johns Hopkins data in the lower right as it opens.

Last edited:
The Covid-19 death rate globally is about 4.5%. In China, 4.0%. In the US only 1.5%. Our recovery rate is low but is getting better...slowly. Hammering those trying to help won't help.

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
"Anyone who wants a test can get a test." This article is a flat out lie. That's not what he said. Science indeed.

Don't try to pull a Trump and deny something was said when the quote is readily available on multiple outlets and the actual video of him saying it is available on YOUTUBE.

“Anybody that wants a test can get a test. That’s what the bottom line is,” Trump told reporters March 6 during a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
Last updated: April 12, 2020, 16:01 GMT
tn_us-flag.gif

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Apr 12, 2020
Visit site
I think what this article fails to emphasize is that
Recovered:
and that 763832 (total infected as of 4/19) is 0.23273369896405% of 328200000 the U.S. population. The flu was worse and wasn't even considered a epidemic let alone a pandemic.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
I think what this article fails to emphasize is that
Recovered:
and that 763832 (total infected as of 4/19) is 0.23273369896405% of 328200000 the U.S. population. The flu was worse and wasn't even considered a epidemic let alone a pandemic.

CDC estimates on 2019-2020 flu season in USA. (Flu season ended April 5)

39M-56M cases
18M-26M medical visits
410k-740k hospitalizations
24M-62M Deaths

Deaths from Covid-19 in USA within same range as flu.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
In USA, only small percentage of death certificates are completed by a coroner. Coroners only put cause of death on death certificates for coroner's cases. Doctors complete the vast majority of death certificates.

A death becomes a coroner's case in only a few situations:
1. the death is suspected to involve foul play or accident (murder, suicide, auto accidents, accidental falls, etc.)
2. the deceased was not seen by any medical doctor in 30 days preceeding death.
3. cause of death cannot be determined.

An autopsy is performed on coroner's cases to determine cause of death.

Any death involving CV-19 in a hospital would have a physician complete certificate. None would be completed by coroner because cause of death is known.

There are about 10 counties in Pennsylvania with low number of cases and less than 10 deaths. Perhaps your hospital is in one of those counties or you are a Coronavirus denier or propagandist.

Will our medical experts and administrators be under pressure to justify the shutdown?

The cost of the shutdown will be felt by all. No numbers will be needed. And recovery time hasn't started yet.

How do we determine the amount of lives saved? Did we save 100,000?

500,000? Did we save 1,000,000? How will we know? And who will determine that.

What is the standard now? After how many predicted deaths, do we do this again?

When can free assembly and free association and private commerce be voided?

Historical times ahead.

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
The first estimates of potential deaths used were based on model of Imperial College London. That model showing millions of deaths worldwide without any mitigation. You can read what alarmists were saying and link to report at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid-19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/.

The original model has been revised multiple times with evolving information and increasing mitigation measure.

It is really hard to say how many deaths were prevented. And philosophically, how many deaths would have been acceptable without shutdown to save economy is difficult question. For grieving families who lost loved ones, we didn't do enough fast enough.

A postmortem of policies cannot be examined until this is all over. We have lost first responders, doctors and nurses on the front lines. And we now know that the elderly, the poor and certain races have suffered the greatest losses. Will the economy ever recover? Will generations have to pay off all the debt generated by bailouts and assistance to individuals, businesses, city and state governments? We cannot know now. Was the economic sacrifice worth it? May not know the answer for a long time.

Americans have sacrificed much together for common goal. Revolutionary War, WWI, WWII. Were the sacrifices worth it? I answer "yes". The day America says money is worth more than life, we are all doomed.

May 12, 2020
Visit site
Pandemic (Covid-19) has forced many businesses to shut down – whether voluntarily or due to government rule. Congress moved quickly to require employers to provide some limited paid holiday during this difficult time.

May 28, 2020
Visit site
How's the current situation in Oklahoma? My friend is from there and the quarantine made him unable to contact me. When could we expect the end of quarantine there?