Can you use Air Con during Pandemic

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone

Our weather has got really hot and it's almost impossible to work from home. I have a portable air conditioner but I don't know if it's safe to use during the coronavirus pandemic. I've emailed the govt for guidelines, but don't know if I'll get an answer, so thought I'd ask here.

The air con would obviously cause air flow in my property, so of course I'm concerned for me. Then it would vent out of a window that overlooks a fairly busy street. The people passing below my window are at least 3 metres down. No one is ever aware of it when they walk past, so it doesn't disturb anyone on the street, you can't feel it, or the heat, etc......it disperses long before it gets even halfway down. But that's the temperature and feel of it. I don't know about viruses. I have no symptoms, but that's no guarantee.

I will only use it if I get plenty of evidence that it's safe for both others and for myself. I was happy to just not use it and wait, but it's only set to get hotter and the sole reason I purchased it is because it's impossible to remain in my apartment or get any work done in the heat. But I will put up with that unless it's safe.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2020
Visit site
My gut feel is that it should not affect people 3 meters away. But if you want to be very conservative you can have yourself tested. If you wait about 5 days you will probably develop symptoms if you are infected. If nobody in your house has an infection, and you don't go out shopping to a confined shopping place, you will likely not get infected.

Reactions: IlanaR
May 20, 2020
Visit site
My gut feel is that it should not affect people 3 meters away. But if you want to be very conservative you can have yourself tested. If you wait about 5 days you will probably develop symptoms if you are infected. If nobody in your house has an infection, and you don't go out shopping to a confined shopping place, you will likely not get infected.

I'm in the UK, we are past the peak and I was ill about 8 or 9 weeks ago. Due to very late testing availability I've no idea if it was Covid.

I can look into testing now, but even if it's deemed safe, I suppose I'd want to know if it's safe in general terms, because of how people are going to feel walking under it otherwise. Although you can't really hear it, you can see it from the street as the vent is coming out of the window.

May 20, 2020
Visit site
No air flow between inside and outside is necessary. Install in window and fire that puppy up. Read the AC unit manual.

Assuming your air con is not evaporation.

I will have a better look at it tomorrow, I'm in the UK. I've no idea how it works, lol, I just switch on and place the vent tube out of the window.

Not sure about evaporation, but each year I just switch it on. I suppose I'm asking for a lung infection, but this was all pre covid, lol, I'll be more careful now.