Can wearing a face mask protect you from the new coronavirus?

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2020
he Department of Defense urges individuals on DOD property, installations and facilities to wear cloth face coverings when a 6-foot social distance cannot be maintained to help prevent the spread of COVID-19," Navy Cmdr. (Dr.) Cameron J.L. Nelson, chief of DHA's occupational medicine branch, said, noting that this complies with guidance disseminated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"This guidance is especially important for families and others who may need to go out in public to perform essential tasks, such as food shopping," he added.
The face-covering mask can be fashioned from simple household items such as a clean T-shirt or cloth, as demonstrated in CDC's do-it-yourself guide.
Because surgical face masks and other personal protective equipment are in short supply in the health care arena across the United States, the CDC advises that homemade cloth face coverings should:
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face;
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops;
  • Include multiple layers of fabric;
  • Allow for breathing without restriction; and
  • Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to the shape.
CDC officials say cloth face coverings are especially critical in areas of significant community-based transmission.
Using a simple cloth face covering not only can slow the spread of COVID-19, but also can help those who could unknowingly have the virus from spreading it to others, the CDC said.
Cloth face coverings should not be placed on children younger than age 2, on anyone who has trouble breathing or who is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance, the CDC advises.
Cloth face coverings should be washed routinely in a washing machine, CDC authorities said.
When removing a used face cloth covering, the CDC says people should use caution and not touch their eyes, nose or mouth, and immediately wash their hands after taking the covering off.
The CDC emphasizes that its recommendation on face cloth coverings complements, and does not replace, the President's Coronavirus Guidelines for America, 30 Days to Slow the Spread, which remains the cornerstone of the national effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
CDC officials will make additional recommendations as the evidence for appropriate public-health measures continues to develop.
"Everyone must do their part to protect themselves and their families," Nelson said.
Disclaimer: Re-published content may be edited for length and clarity. Read original post.

There are many mask that can work for this virus, full face rubber ones will have to be keep moist so they last if not they dry and the plastic gets weak and breaks ,also the straps are weak ,i would change them out for a different set, look up plastic materials then you can find the right lubricant,

18 years in the military and the plastic mask will only get moist if you dont have a good seal
Yes, there are many mask which can help & its better to wear any type of mask-like cloth mask or surgical mask

Apr 4, 2020
he Department of Defense urges individuals on DOD property, installations and facilities to wear cloth face coverings when a 6-foot social distance cannot be maintained to help prevent the spread of COVID-19," Navy Cmdr. (Dr.) Cameron J.L. Nelson, chief of DHA's occupational medicine branch, said, noting that this complies with guidance disseminated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"This guidance is especially important for families and others who may need to go out in public to perform essential tasks, such as food shopping," he added.
The face-covering mask can be fashioned from simple household items such as a clean T-shirt or cloth, as demonstrated in CDC's do-it-yourself guide.
Because surgical face masks and other personal protective equipment are in short supply in the health care arena across the United States, the CDC advises that homemade cloth face coverings should:
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face;
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops;
  • Include multiple layers of fabric;
  • Allow for breathing without restriction; and
  • Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to the shape.
CDC officials say cloth face coverings are especially critical in areas of significant community-based transmission.
Using a simple cloth face covering not only can slow the spread of COVID-19, but also can help those who could unknowingly have the virus from spreading it to others, the CDC said.
Cloth face coverings should not be placed on children younger than age 2, on anyone who has trouble breathing or who is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance, the CDC advises.
Cloth face coverings should be washed routinely in a washing machine, CDC authorities said.
When removing a used face cloth covering, the CDC says people should use caution and not touch their eyes, nose or mouth, and immediately wash their hands after taking the covering off.
The CDC emphasizes that its recommendation on face cloth coverings complements, and does not replace, the President's Coronavirus Guidelines for America, 30 Days to Slow the Spread, which remains the cornerstone of the national effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
CDC officials will make additional recommendations as the evidence for appropriate public-health measures continues to develop.
"Everyone must do their part to protect themselves and their families," Nelson said.
Disclaimer: Re-published content may be edited for length and clarity. Read original post.
Although my facts are clear, undeniable, easy to observe, even children can understand.
Live Science Forums Banned my post saying,
"Do not use our forums to self promote cites in an effort to increase your own visibility."
I am not making for fame I am just making for change.
Normally I am read-only internet user. Single click person.
I don't like registering or entering passwords.
Even CDC allow my link.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx1yqvJgf4&lc=UgzQscjpEQcDm0ucvxd4AaABAg

Thanks, CDC for allowing my facts. Now masks are recommended.
Censorship kills.

Mar 26, 2020
Personally I agree with the comment above. and call b/s on this advice.

If it is true that wearing a mask will not prevent you catching the virus then it follows that if you have the virus it can just as easily also go through the mask the other way and a sufferer wearing a mask would just as easily be able to infect others. The authorities are just telling us because they know damn well there aren't enough masks to go around and are trying to avoid a panic. Statistics I have read show that a well-fitting mask can reduce the likelihood of catching flu viruses by up to 80%.

Don't believe what you are told when they are clearly giving health professionals masks to wear to prevent them catching it as well as spreading it..
The greatest efficacy of mask is in preventing the virus from being spread from an infected person even though they may not be infected. The virus attaches to water molecules. Without a mask, it can travel up to 6 ft. Check out Suayla dot com. They are non-profit as far as mack go and have performed testing with a respiratory measuring device.

Apr 11, 2020
N95 is still the best protection against coronavirus and yes the stocks are almost deplete on amzon and ebay.

You can order complete range of face masks via Senieer. What i have found is that they are one of the Top Pharmaceutical Industry Manufacturer for face masks and other pharma equipment.

You can visit their website:

https://www.senieer.com/product/face-mask-respirators/

Mar 3, 2020
They do... its not about the virus size as much as what the virus is riding on. Its riding on water drops or lugies/mucus (see bio aresols) water is to ur lungs as oil is to an engine and talking coughing or just breathing we echale an invisible mist.

The water or mucus drop holding the virus is large enoygh the filters catch it.

Ive got a 3m 6800 full face respirator . I'm really surprised more of these aren't being used by medical professionals. It's a full face shield that seals around the edges of your face and then again around your nose and mouth. I don't have it but there is a kit for this to add a hose and a pump on a battery. This would be ideal because not only does it reduce the strain required from your lungs to pull air through the filter it also has two side effects one is you stay cooler while you wear it instead of humidity building up but this mask is pretty good in the design so that doesn't happen if you quite a while but two is if you have powered air anytime you have a bad seal on the mask are rushes out which tends to keep things from coming in.
Right - fair enough. My initial point remains: either masks ARE effective (in which case they will be effective in all contexts, albeit to a greater or lesser extent due to a greater or lesser extent of encountering the virus) or they are not. The official guidance of Feb/March was manifestly BS and that was clear at the time; that the admin on LiveScience bought into it was and remains surprising.

Mar 3, 2020
Even if they do because of the shortage, I would rather see them go to medical workers and others who are at higher risk than myself.
Of course - that's your prerogative; that doesn't change the patently-obvious fact that any facial covering will be better than none (and non-N95 masks will reduce, if not eliminate, chances of infection).

LCarlson

Administrator
Nov 12, 2019
Our knowledge of the Covid-19 virus and epidemic continue to evolve. While the N95 is still the only one that will prevent the virus from getting in, the medical and scientific community now recommend masks in general be used to help prevent spread of the virus, particularly in cases where asymptomatic people are in public.
I am therefore closing this thread, as the point made by the article is now moot.
~LC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts