Question Can the Sahara be made green? Should it?

Nov 18, 2019
I happened across this article from September, and admit it lit the hopeful in me, almost immediately followed by a pang of trepidation.
There are a lot of deserts across the world, and while they all have their own beauty, a part of me wonders if we really CAN"terraform" them?

If we can, the next questions:
SHOULD we? Could it make climate change worse if we set up all new ecological areas?
Should we limit the regions we terraform through green tech?

Reactions: Ousainou
Nov 20, 2019
I can't think of any way to terraform the Sahara without it being immediately taken over by peoples living nearby.

How about Antarctica instead? There's an entire continent that is almost completely dead, and current scientific consensus suggests that it could be lush and green again in the next few hundred years if we continue to terraform the rest of the Earth to be habitable.

Just think, 10,000 years ago Germany looked a lot like Antarctica. It would be a tragedy if it went back to being that way, right? Why not save Antarctica?

Nov 20, 2019
I happened across this article from September, and admit it lit the hopeful in me, almost immediately followed by a pang of trepidation.
There are a lot of deserts across the world, and while they all have their own beauty, a part of me wonders if we really CAN"terraform" them?

SHOULD we? Could it make climate change worse if we set up all new ecological areas?
I mean karrol the question about whether the shahara desert can be trsfom green is a possible thing.

The questions of whether should we??
I mean with the threat that global warming is subjecting our beloved planet with, I think is necessary to transform it to green again..
An this can be a way of reducing the quantity of air pollutant.

Apr 3, 2020

Yes, it's possible on paper but then no one know if it's feasible practically. In theory the sahara can be made green with the help of Solar and wind farm.

Another factor to consider is funding. I seriously doubt the countries that the desert cut across will want to embark on such. Project like that needs a lot of funds,the neighboring countries are not that economic boyant to attempt such

Another factor is government policy, I seriously doubt if the government care enough about climate change to attempt such.

Feasible? Maybe
Should we? I don't think so.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS