Blue-ringed octopus, one of the most toxic animals on Earth, bites woman multiple times

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
I wonder if the octopus gave warning bites by chance? Or maybe that particular octopus was ill or has some kind of deficiency to not produce enough toxin?

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
There's a difference between venomous and poisonous
A poison must be consumed or otherwise absorbed to take effect
A venom may be injected such as through a bite ie: venomous snake
Certain snake venoms can be swallowed with no ill effect, because they are not poisonous

Toxins and poisons are similar but different as well
Toxic refers to the degree of damage to a system
Toxic can refer to chemical or biological substances
Whereas poisonous is a more extreme example that says essentially this will absolutely cause damage to a system ie: you.
Anything is "toxic" given a high enough dosage

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
As the article states these little octopuses as cute as they are are one of the most dangerous creatures we know of as they are both poisonous and venomous not only this but the toxin That is in their bodies is horrifyingly efficient

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Growing up in Okinawa, I heard of a handful of deaths related to the blue ringed octopus. My dad was a medic and told me of at least one situation when a few Marines found one and played catch with it.

Mar 29, 2023
Visit site
There's a difference between venomous and poisonous
A poison must be consumed or otherwise absorbed to take effect
A venom may be injected such as through a bite ie: venomous snake
Certain snake venoms can be swallowed with no ill effect, because they are not poisonous

Toxins and poisons are similar but different as well
Toxic refers to the degree of damage to a system
Toxic can refer to chemical or biological substances
Whereas poisonous is a more extreme example that says essentially this will absolutely cause damage to a system ie: you.
Anything is "toxic" given a high enough dosage
Yes, as the article says the octopus is both.