Australian Hunters to Kill 10,000 Feral Camels from Helicopters Amid Worsening Drought

I thought camels could store water in their humps? If these camels are doing so, then why would they need to continue consuming water that could be consumed by a native or more productive species? Camels shouldn't be in Australia anyway, I doubt anyone seriously needs one for transportation. Mow them down, mates! Round them up and harvest their exotics meats😝

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Firstly, if they wanted to reduce/eliminate the camel population, they should have done it by using animal birth control methods LONG before now. They knew they would reproduce, so what were they thinking?
It's stupid humans' fault for bringing them in in the first place - it's not the animal's fault, they aren't killing anything (like the feral cats are), they are just trying to survive.
It's also stupid human's fault for the fires - I just heard that 24 people were arrested for starting some of the fires. THEY should get the death penalty for what they did. Kill THEM, not the innocent animals.

Reactions: IAmAReptilianAlien
Firstly, if they wanted to reduce/eliminate the camel population, they should have done it by using animal birth control methods LONG before now. They knew they would reproduce, so what were they thinking?
It's stupid humans' fault for bringing them in in the first place - it's not the animal's fault, they aren't killing anything (like the feral cats are), they are just trying to survive.
It's also stupid human's fault for the fires - I just heard that 24 people were arrested for starting some of the fires. THEY should get the death penalty for what they did. Kill THEM, not the innocent animals.

Yes, apparently early Australians didn't have the foresight to plan for the future reduction or elimination of camels from Australia, probably because nobody anticipated that camels as a mode of transportation would ever be replaced? It is odd to consider the feral camels as being innocent because it implies that they are capable of being guilty, which is unbelievable because they do not make choices based on right or wrong. It is unfortunate that humans are to blame for some of these fires, and that the camels must struggle to survive, which negatively affects indigenous populations. It's a circle of unfortunate events.

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Yes, apparently early Australians didn't have the foresight to plan for the future reduction or elimination of camels from Australia, probably because nobody anticipated that camels as a mode of transportation would ever be replaced? It is odd to consider the feral camels as being innocent because it implies that they are capable of being guilty, which is unbelievable because they do not make choices based on right or wrong. It is unfortunate that humans are to blame for some of these fires, and that the camels must struggle to survive, which negatively affects indigenous populations. It's a circle of unfortunate events.

Unfortunately, when people bring in invasive species, there is no thought to the future possibilities at all, which is why future generations have a huge problem to deal with.
The term innocent as used here has nothing to do with legal definitions of innocence and guilt. It is innocence with the meaning of pure simplicity, similar to the way that children are innocent.
Yes, it is a horrible circle of unfortunate events, but killing these camels is unnecessarily cruel.

And I have to say, on an unrelated and yet connected event, it did not send a very good message to do an expansive fireworks display for New Years Eve. It diminished the seriousness of what was going on because it seemed more important to give people a party while their animals were burning. Just a comment on how this looked to the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, when people bring in invasive species, there is no thought to the future possibilities at all, which is why future generations have a huge problem to deal with.
The term innocent as used here has nothing to do with legal definitions of innocence and guilt. It is innocence with the meaning of pure simplicity, similar to the way that children are innocent.
Yes, it is a horrible circle of unfortunate events, but killing these camels is unnecessarily cruel.

And I have to say, on an unrelated and yet connected event, it did not send a very good message to do an expansive fireworks display for New Years Eve. It diminished the seriousness of what was going on because it seemed more important to give people a party while their animals were burning. Just a comment on how this looked to the rest of the world.

Yes I would think that the situation calls for some kind of national state of emergency to 1, raise awareness and 2, form solutions, and that these topics ought to remain at the forefront of Australia's media. Honestly, killing the camels, I thought, would solve both the overpopulation problem and the water contamination problem, and, logistically it seemed like a legitimate action. I'm not saying it is a lasting solution, but during this crisis It seems to be the action with the most immediate outcome. I don't know if Australians are allowed guns but if I were an Australian living outside of the city during a wildfire and, I don't know, had water resources on my property, I would have no qualms over shooting a thirsty camel to death and I would believe that the law should support my actions. Although the camel doesn't know any better, it is my water that it would have stolen. The camel wouldn't even be there if it wasn't transported to Australia by earlier Australians, and now that the need for camel transportation doesn't exist it follows that another purpose be given to these camel populations. It might sound weird but why not round them up onto a farm and harvest them for meat?

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
I understand your perspective. However, to me, the harvesting of living beings for meat is a too-convenient excuse to justify a quick solution and cruelty; moreover, it discourages more creative and better, long-range solutions. Death is not a purpose.
Perhaps I don't understand the logistics of the situation but if the indigenous people are in a dangerous location for water, with the fires and all, wouldn't it be wiser to relocate them - at least temporarily - til the problem has been brought under control (or if it cannot be, won't they need to be moved anyway)? The camels could also be relocated (and darted with birth control).
The visual is, a billion animals have already lost their lives, and now Australia wants to kill more. No matter the reason, this doesn't sound or look good.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Yeah that’s always the answer just kill the animals you would think that since people have created this issue not the animals that people would find a better solution than that maybe people there should have been working on a solution long before now I’m sure this issue just didn’t pop up over night and nothing deserves this kind of treatment these animals are probably smarter than these people I’m sure that if anyone put some effort into it someone could come up with a better solution than to kill these animals but that’s right it probably would take effort and money which apparently these people would rather just kill them instead of doing what would be the right thing and find a better solution all life matters something is so wrong with people who think this is okay because it is not okay something is wrong with this kind of behavior find a better solution if this is allowed to happen than you know that they is at least one person that is very disappointed in your country and mankind all together respect all life find a better solution

I understand your perspective. However, to me, the harvesting of living beings for meat is a too-convenient excuse to justify a quick solution and cruelty; moreover, it discourages more creative and better, long-range solutions. Death is not a purpose.
Perhaps I don't understand the logistics of the situation but if the indigenous people are in a dangerous location for water, with the fires and all, wouldn't it be wiser to relocate them - at least temporarily - til the problem has been brought under control (or if it cannot be, won't they need to be moved anyway)? The camels could also be relocated (and darted with birth control).
The visual is, a billion animals have already lost their lives, and now Australia wants to kill more. No matter the reason, this doesn't sound or look good.

I imagine that whoever is in charge considered the fact that a billion animals have perished, tragically including the iconic kangaroos and koalas. I'm sure they also considered their circumstance carefully- communities are infuriated because feral camels are wrecking havoc on their towns. Mind you these are camels that are not indigenous to Australia and probably not very culturally praised. I'm not defending Australia but I think it is a given that their government has allocated resources to combating the fire. It isn't financially feasible to relocate communities and 10,000 wild camels, and apparently there are no protections for camels. But of course not, they are like pests. Australians just want them gone and I'm sure they would welcome any speedy solution, they just maybe aren't too interested in coming up with any ideas of their own

Yeah that’s always the answer just kill the animals you would think that since people have created this issue not the animals that people would find a better solution than that maybe people there should have been working on a solution long before now I’m sure this issue just didn’t pop up over night and nothing deserves this kind of treatment these animals are probably smarter than these people I’m sure that if anyone put some effort into it someone could come up with a better solution than to kill these animals but that’s right it probably would take effort and money which apparently these people would rather just kill them instead of doing what would be the right thing and find a better solution all life matters something is so wrong with people who think this is okay because it is not okay something is wrong with this kind of behavior find a better solution if this is allowed to happen than you know that they is at least one person that is very disappointed in your country and mankind all together respect all life find a better solution

Honestly I don't believe camels are smarter than Australians. You are right about the fact that early Australians are to blame for the camel overpopulation. Once camels fell out of use, something could have been done to relocate them back to their original lands. Possibly, modern Australians didn't consider it their responsibility to do anything about it. You are absolutely right that if someone put a little effort into it they could come up with a better solution than putting down the camels. But who is it gonna be? Do you have any suggestions? It may be that Australians genuinely don't care at all for camels because they are pests and believe killing them off just solves so many problems. Yes, pests are animals, and they are living, breathing creatures. But they are pests.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
The Aussies are dealing with a problem during a emergency. We can blame the people who created the problem, but can not hold them accountable as they are dead and gone. Now is not the time to use birth control or ship them back to the middle east. Therefor they must be shot to prevent human lives lost. Yes it is another failure by us humans. But consider this, if we don't learn from our mistakes and take steps to become better, Mother Nature will cull us and in 10,000 years even the earth will have cooled down and any fields of glass we may have created will have long been replaced by grass.

Reactions: IAmAReptilianAlien
Are we GOD? We can't even saved millions of wildlife and now we are going to kill more. We are Humans Not Butchers. Australian Government should find any alternative way Cope this situation rather than killing camels who are already struggling for their survival. It's my opinion on Australian Government's cruel Act. What's your opinion?

Yes, they are going to kill more, specifically they hope to put down 10,000 camels. In order to take 10,000 camels out of the situation in Australia without shooting them do death and appearing as butchers, we will need a humane plan in its place. Honestly, it appears to me that the National Feral Camel Action Plan hasn't been accomplishing much and the Australians are understanding that the plan won't do much in the short term. For the past ten years the plan has facilitated the creation of alternative and humane ways to cope with the situation, but it hasn't accomplished much. Feral camels have negative environmental, economic and social impacts, which are all increased due to the fires. Australians aren't trying to be cruel, they're trying to fix the environmental, economic and social problems that the camels are creating across the rangeland during these fires as swiftly as possible. It is their last resort, and frankly, it's time for the last resort. What plans do you suggest?

The Aussies are dealing with a problem during a emergency. We can blame the people who created the problem, but can not hold them accountable as they are dead and gone. Now is not the time to use birth control or ship them back to the middle east. Therefor they must be shot to prevent human lives lost. Yes it is another failure by us humans. But consider this, if we don't learn from our mistakes and take steps to become better, Mother Nature will cull us and in 10,000 years even the earth will have cooled down and any fields of glass we may have created will have long been replaced by grass.

Yes I completely agree. And we can learn by taking actions to replace the oil industry before it irreversibly cripples us. We can form plans for replacing cars and plans for repurposing cars and the entire automotive industry, or at least plans for switching their fuel dependency to something more sustainable.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Over 1 billion animals already dead and even that is not enough, not even including bats and frogs. DEW weapons deliberately creating the vast majority of the fires to support the corrupt 'global warming' financial agenda, and the green lobby banning the creation of firebreaks are the most likely culprits behind most of the recent fires . One firefighter was fined 100,000 dollars for creating a firebreak, and his house was the only one not burned down when the fires hit his area.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Humans are responsible for this problem. THIS CRUEL ACT BELONGS TO HUMAN.why they are punishing animals for one reason global warming. On one hand they caring, rearing and saving all koalas , mammals and other kangaroos but one the other hand they are murdering camels .this is not appropriate .

It's really a drastic measure. Over 5,000 have been culled and that's only half of what the Australians intended. Australia has the largest wild camel herds in the world. However, they are an invasive species. They do not contribute to the indigenous environment at all. This is a sad reflection on our own civilization really, and we need to change. They are parisites. It is very unfortunate that the animals are being killed but previous plans to deal with their existence have had no progress and the camels are making the fire situation worse.

Humans are responsible for this problem. THIS CRUEL ACT BELONGS TO HUMAN.why they are punishing animals for one reason global warming. On one hand they caring, rearing and saving all koalas , mammals and other kangaroos but one the other hand they are murdering camels .this is not appropriate .

Humans murder other humans over land and oil and religion. Mainly controlled by governments. I think the problem is governments. In general the human itself. Most humans are usually loving and caring for each other. It is these parasites that feed of the humans that are creating problems. Normal humans aren't just going to go out and murder animals.

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
I adore animals but unfortunately this has to be done, humanely as possible, but 10,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to a million camels. As repugnant as it is it is the only viable solution. Try performing birth control on a million camels! Remember that they are pushing some native wildlife to extinction while on the other their no shortage of camels in the world or Australia. As mentioned before the camels are innocent victims of careless humans but they need to go for the sake of the original inhabitants.

As for the New Years fireworks I don’t blame them at all! People I’m sure could use a break from all the horrible events. Life goes on, even during national disasters, I wouldn’t presume to pass judgement on them and they rightfully don’t give a 💩about the world’s opinion on how they celebrate New Years!

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Getting feral animals to consume birth control is easier said than done. They may not sit still in one place long enough to consume the amount needed for it to take effect.

Plus I expect with the size of the animal, the amount of birth control needed is substantial, which again, takes time for them to ingest and makes it harder for it to be practical.

Attempts to do this in Texas with feral hogs (which may weigh in at 400 kg or more - they're like hungry HumVees) have been mixed. They dont consume enough, they're skittish, and yet theyre immensely destructive.

I expect it wont be easy to drop them either. I assume they'll laugh at small caliber guns, though I dont think they're as armored as hogs are.

Pass a rot where drop law. Feed the buzzards. Allow local game warden to issue bounty for each tail. The quickest and least expensive solution.

People complain about hogs here. But they accept it. The proper bounty would put a quick end to hogs,,,,,,,,or anything else.

Too bad camels aren't dangerous. One could provide "hunts" for the city slickers.