Astronomers detect millions of signals from an intelligent civilization: Us

Nov 12, 2020
I don't understand the possible benefits of looking for "Space Aliens" that most likely would be hundreds/thousands of light years distant. E.G.: Even with a simple "hello" message both the sender and receiver would be long dead due to tranmission time. Aside from scientific methodologies, perhaps looking for E.T. is not cost justified? Wouldn't an effort to better understand the evolution of H. Sapiens on Earth in the physical, environmental, cultural and psychological matrix that we live in be more efficacious to our species well being?

Apr 20, 2020
While an alien Aricebo equivalent might detect our Aricebo's one shot in the dark signal, it would be far more useful to know how far away their SETI could detect our strongest continuously broadcast signals which, I believe are clear channel AM radio stations.

Broadcast signals might make sense for a planet but not for a solar system, much less a galactic empire. They just waste too much power versus directed signals.

Mar 4, 2020
The chances of detecting passive signals are slim. The best way to get someone's attention, if your sure you want to do it.......is to transmit a one frequency signal that is offset from the natural spectrum of starlight. And blinking or intermittent. Check all spectrum archives for a small offset light signal. Check all X-ray spectrum archives as well.

Even though communication is probable, knowing that intelligent life is out there will change this world and science very quickly.

Apr 20, 2020
I think the chances of a "we are here" narrow cast signal being directed in Earth's vicinity are close to nonexistent because space is big. The LGM signal turned out to be a pulsar (a type of object unknown at the time) and the WOW signal, while still not definitely explained, does not appeal to contain information. Other than those we've found nothing.

OTOH, we, and possibly alien worlds, broadcast a whole spectrum of radio emissions. I presume that if we built an Aricebo equivalent on, say, Ceres, it would be able to detect some of these.

My question is, if there was an Aricebo equivalent in, say, the Proxima Centauri system, would it be able to detect them? If so, how much further out could a stellar system be and still have a chance of detecting them.

Sep 20, 2020
Did you know Cosmic Radio Signals can be polarized at 91mhz (fm radio);

160mhz (vhf radio ); 610 mhz ( on channel 78 uhf-tv) by keying a cb

microphone over a radio receiver set on these radio channels with your home

equipment.

These are known cosmic radio sources from outer space,25mhz natural

source, 91 mhz unknown source from the Constellation Sagittarius , 160mhz

unknown source, 440 mhz, 1440 mhz and many others from Annual Review

of Astrophysics and Astronomy 1966 editor Leo Goldberg.

Facts : A lot of the static snow that you recieve is your non cable

uhf tv; is cosmic radio signals......many elements naturally emit

radio pulses where excited; You can polarize these signals with CB radio

Microphone by keying the transmitting CB microphone over the speaker of a

receiving radio set at 91 mhz..(91fm)..160 mhz..(160 vhf radio)..and

transmit the spacey sound you hear to a receiving TV set at channel

78 UHF tv.....then you will see a ATT type of symbol..and see the

oscillations and fluctuations of the cosmic radio signal that has

been just polarized and hear strange 1960s Star Trek spacey sounds, ( I think

scientist playon around with 195s electronic equipment radio and TV made

some odd findings, like the ATT symbol ( world with stripes ) the CBS electron

gun inspired the 1950s CBS eye logo, and those 1960 Star Trek sound

effects...the odds are in our favor.we are receiving artificially generated radio

signals...I think 91 mhz FM radio and 160 mhz VHF radio is artificially

generated...remember the old national weather radio station was at 162 mhz

VHF radio.

ASK THE COMMUNITY