Astonishing AI restoration brings Apollo moon landing films up to speed

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
I think AI is the most important system homosapiens have ever created. It's up to our generation to make sure it is used in the correct way. Of course history will teach us a very important lesson. Some 1 is gonna tamper with it and make it regrettable. We need strict laws on this matter early on before we find out all the wicked things AI can do. Other than that I think it's awesome. I remember when I was a kid and the first Nintendo came out. I was blown away. Before the Nintendo I was on Atari and a commador computer. I was just a kid when I thought virtual reality would never happen in my life time and look at us now. Just amazing. I think the human race is amazing and I'm thankful we have some really smart people.

Reactions: CParsons
Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
I'm not really a huge fan of some of the AI restoration videos that are out there (colorization of old film, Tom & Jerry in 60fps) but this is actually pretty awesome.
Since you've drawn the comparison, I must tell you that these Apollo videos and the infamous Tom and Jerry clip were made using the same software, by two members of the same online community. Most of us are just messing around with some cool tech we stumbled across and Niels happened to have a better idea of what to do with it than most of us. We've all had a good laugh about the reactions to our Tom and Jerry clip.

CParsons

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Since you've drawn the comparison, I must tell you that these Apollo videos and the infamous Tom and Jerry clip were made using the same software, by two members of the same online community. Most of us are just messing around with some cool tech we stumbled across and Niels happened to have a better idea of what to do with it than most of us. We've all had a good laugh about the reactions to our Tom and Jerry clip.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm all for the messing around with it to see what it can do.

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
The original footage for most of these videos is 16 mm film, which has a resolution easily high enough to earn the "HD" moniker. What was missing is the frame rate: the camera had a selectable frame rate (down to 1 fps), and lower framerates were used extensively to reduce the amount of film required.
So most of the restoration consists of frame interpolation and camera motion smoothing.

Reactions: ThinkTank