Announcement Ask any coronavirus questions here - Answers during our livestream

Page 2 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Nicoletta here. Looking forwarding to answering your questions this Thursday! In the meantime, keep up with our COVID-19 here on our live updates page:
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-updates.html

And to learn about what's happening in the U.S., check out our America-specific updates page: https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-updates-united-states.html
My question is this, can the virus be used as a vaccine? Apparently this virus is not harmful in the blood, blood banks don't screen for it, but would it elicit an immune response if injected into the blood or lymphatic system without causing illness? Can you cause an immune response with the virus itself in a healthy person with no risk of disease by introducing the virus to the blood of lymph rather than the respiratory tract?

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
Was the outbreak of coronavirus in human beings as a result of experimental error,if is it possible for ones immune system to be boosted so that the presence of such a virus has no impact on his or her health because if some people are able to live with different parasites in their body for a very long time ,with such an idea can't a useful answer be got?

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
Got questions about the Coronavirus? Join us LIVE on Facebook, Thursday, April 2nd at 12p EST (9a PST).

Health Editor, Nicoletta Lanese of Live Science, will be briefing you on the latest coronavirus news as well as taking all your questions.

Got a question you'd like to ask? Post them here in this thread!
I have 3 disabled relatives to care for while holding down a full time job in healthcare. Lots of carers are facing issues at the moment but not much is mentioned in the media. It seems carers are just there and not recognised in this current crissis and carers just get on. Which we do, we always do, but i would leave my job in a moment if i thought for one instance my family was at risk. Social services have rang and already tried to reduce the care my family receives because of pressure. Plus i am the weak link in all of this because i could fetch the virus home with me. Pressure, there's a new definition these days

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Why isn’t there an advisory for shoppers to insist that the teller or checkout-person use the Hand-Held Scanner when available?
By keeping their items in the shopping cart and off of the 'communal' conveyor belt and bagging area, (just keep everything they can in their carts and all the way back to their caes), wouldn’t that potentially break a chain of virus-spread?

Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Can Covid 19 be Transmitted from one traveling automobile to another by airstream? When driving you can often smell what people in front of you are smoking? Just sayin’…covid.
would keeping your distance, closing your windows and putting your fan on Recirulate protect?

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
hey, i hope you're all doing well,
so i watched a film on the telly the other day, 'world warZ', in the film they talk about, tricking the 'virus' by infecting the populas, with another virus,

My question is , can this work in the "real world curent situation" ?
(Why not modify this virus, genetically, and re-engineer it to attack other coronaviruses, and self destruct, before it infects a person, or use "another virus" as a payload delivery system, which can better target such coronaviruses with pin-point accuracy and takeover coronaviruses cells, and shutdown the function of this virus at a cellular level.)

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Zoonotic Viruses From Animals With Core Temperatures Above Humans

*** Most colds and flus start in the respiratory track and are especially more prevalent in colder dry seasons (and air conditioning) where it is the cooler dryer respiratory track that is much more susceptible to the viruses.
Somewhere. Early in the discovery of the virus. I remember hearing 27 degrees above 98.6 or below would kill it?

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Got questions about the coronavirus? Join us LIVE on Facebook, Thursday, April 30 at 12p EST (9a PST).

Health Editor, Nicoletta Lanese of Live Science, will be briefing you on the latest coronavirus news as well as taking all your questions.

Got a question you'd like to ask? Post them here in this thread!
Hi all,
Would like to say from the thousands of OAPs that have no internet, A BIG THANKS XXX.
Know your all busy, but when things get tough and there seems no direction fron Government regarding unlocking this Lockdown, How or What would you surgest to be doing? My friend who works at Royal Berks said this to me:--------We must do this first---100 people from 20 towns. 75% under 60 and well. 25% over 60 with underlying problems. Test them who has had it? who has got it? who has not had it? This will give us all the answers regarding when would be the undoing of the lockdown. plus it will reveal all kinds of possibilities, and choices? -------- Seems a good answer to have this information,as my friend says, it would help to know if there is a flattenning out of this pandemic, as most might have had it and survived? Which would allow many to go back to work?
I think it's always best to ask questions and answers from the people on the the job, frontline.
Once again A BIG THANKS XXX
STAY SAFE.

I don't have a background in biology and have some simple questions, I need the information for my research.
1) Does covid2 exist as a cell?
2) What is the size of this cell or in whichever shape it exists
3) In order to visualize it on the surface, do we need a light microscope or an electron microscope?
4) There are several pictures of it on the internet, how does it look like on the surface.
As no one has responded, the virus is about 120 billionth of a meter. It's about 1/50th the size of a bacteria and 1/500th the size of a human cell. No light microscope can see anything that small. An electron microscope must be used. The surface is round with little spikes coming out.

Viruses are not cells, and questionable if viruses are living. Viruses are either DNA or RNA surrounded by a protein covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.