Announcement Ask any coronavirus questions here - Answers during our livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
Zoonotic Viruses From Animals With Core Temperatures Above Humans

Attention: Nicoletta Lanese

Has anyone noted the fact that the three deadliest zoonotic viruses known to man are linked to 3 very diverse animals (bats, birds, pigs) that all lack sweat glands and have core body temperatures of 40C, 3 degrees higher than humans (37C)*. The human immune system responds to most pathogens with a fever up to a limit of 40C before core body temperatures become dangerous and steps are taken to reduce it. Excess mucus flow is also triggered in an attempt to moisten the respiratory tract lining to help in fighting the pathogens as well. My point here is, the coronavirus is already associated with an animal with a core body temperature very near to that of a human’s high fever point of 40C so maybe our fever is not quite high enough to fight a zoonotic virus. Why not give our immune system a helping hand with a heated steam ventilator to raise the respiratory track temperature even higher into the 43C to 46C range where it might be able to fight this higher temperature virus. It should be noted that human respiratory track temperatures** can be significantly increased without increasing the core body temperature and steam bathers easily tolerate temperatures of 46C. Breathing through the mouth can also increase the temperature reached and takes this artificially high fever directly to the location of the coronavirus which from all evidence is in fact heat sensitive. Even if it was used at the first sign of infection it could very easily reduce the severity of the virus. Humans have been successfully steaming themselves for years at home with a towel over a pot of boiled water as treatment for normal colds and flus*** so why not give it a try as a possible treatment for CLOVID-19, it certainly should not require any significant study to at least try it, the increased moisture of the steam might also help as well. Oh, and finally the best part of all, it’s free and available around the world, a pot of boiled water, a large towel over your head and care not to burn yourself.
* It should also be noted that a high percentage of seniors (highest mortality rate from CLOVID-19) have core body temperatures of as low as 36C, 4 degrees lower than bats. Very mild cases have been recorded in dogs, body core temperature 38C. Everything points to temperature as the common factor.
** Although a human’s core body temperature range is relatively limited around 37C, the human Respiratory Track is much more susceptible to changes in intake air temperature and can range from a normal 33-34C experienced at room temperature to as low as below 10C in some winter sport enthusiasts. Mouth breathing can reduce track temperatures even further.
*** Most colds and flus start in the respiratory track and are especially more prevalent in colder dry seasons (and air conditioning) where it is the cooler dryer respiratory track that is much more susceptible to the viruses.

Reactions: abdurrasheed
Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
With seasonal flu we make an informed decision about fever reducing meds against the benefits and relief they can bring. With Covid19 would fever reducing meds be correct, considering the fever is battling the virus? Isn't turning off this defence a grave mistake?

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I am new to medical science, due to the outbreak of a virus that has many fearing and to
some extent locked down. So i am seeking medical information on the virus.

I have the following questions in regards to the Sars Cov2 .

1. Is Sars Cov2 a retrovirus ?

2. What process is generally followed when medical scientist want to find the cause of a group of people becoming sick and this spreading as in Covid 19.

3. The Sars Cov2 virus is said to be a new corona virus. what characteristics must a virus have to be qualified a new type of virus pertaining to an existing virus group.

4. There are different pictures of the Sars Cov2 virus on the internet.
I have attaches 3 pictures of Sars Cov2 from 3 different sources.
New England medical journal, an article in Newyork Posst, www. scientificanimations.com
Can you give some feedback if the virus in this pictures can be said to be the same virus.

5. In order to say that there is an epidemic, should the characteristics of the virus found in america be equal to that found in China, and other places ?

Kind regards

Attachments

• nejmoa2001017_f3.jpeg
    nejmoa2001017_f3.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 2
  • covid19-virus-90.jpg
    covid19-virus-90.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
  • nejmoa2001017_f3.jpeg
    nejmoa2001017_f3.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 3
  • covid19-virus-90.jpg
    covid19-virus-90.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 90333829_10157174658537644_4261282185325051904_o.jpg
    90333829_10157174658537644_4261282185325051904_o.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2
Zoonotic Viruses From Animals With Core Temperatures Above Humans

*** Most colds and flus start in the respiratory track and are especially more prevalent in colder dry seasons (and air conditioning) where it is the cooler dryer respiratory track that is much more susceptible to the viruses.

The human body is NOT an autoclave. Its my understanding that fevers are generally a metabolic side effect of both high immune system and viral activity and that fever is NOT a direct defense measure for any infection. Not to overgeneralize but I suspect most virus have wider temperature tolerances than the human body can endure without severe, even potentially fatal impacts. You will likely have to depend on anti-bodies like anyone else.

Though I do think heard that the Chinese did try heating and cool that during that artificial blood treatment too. However, its worth noting that even if successful in cleaning the blood of COV-19, the rest of the body's cells would still harbor COV-19 virus and those cells outnumber blood cells leading to rapid reinfection of the blood. More correctly a certain percentage of the body cells would currently be COV-19 infected with no reason to think the percentage is different than the general body cells prior to cleansing. Cleansing blood by temperature or substitute might give a small anti-viral fight boost -- but only as the proportion of blood cell weight to body cell weight.

Still it would be interesting to know at what temperatures COV-19 begins to slow down and then when it begins to break down. Probably at least 130F if we want to overgeneralize from cooking proteins in rare meat or lowest recommended autoclave settings for general use.

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Got questions about the Coronavirus? Join us LIVE on Facebook, Thursday, March 19th at 12p EST (9a PST).

Health editor, Nicoletta Lanese of Live Science, will be briefing you on the latest Coronavirus news as well as taking all your questions.

Got a question you'd like to ask? Post them here on our forums!

Yes thank you. This is one concerning long range plans to deal with Corona Viruses in general. We have that I know of three attacks on the human population by Corona type viruses SARS, MERS and now COVID19. It is my understanding that these are generally viruses that are found in other mammals and they are deadly because when they mutate to affect humans we have no natural immunity built up to them that we would with other diseases that have been affecting us for some time such as the common flu.

That being said when we are looking at treatments and vaccines for this virus is there some similar factors in all Corona viruses which would assist us to be able to create treatments for the next Corona virus that makes the leap from another animal or a bird. Theoretically they should be equally more lethal as we don't have immunities to these viruses because we have never been affected by them before. However that does not mean that treatments which affect Corona or SARS or MERS cannot be adapted to new type of Corona virus in the future. Also if we can get a vaccine to one type of Corona virus, even if it is not going to stop infection from its cousins, would the immunity given by that virus assist us going forward against them to at least reduce the overall lethality.

If either of these questions are possibly true then would it not make sense to start cataloguing the various types of corona in other birds and mammals that exist and studying their properties and how to treat them in the normal host. Let us assume that there is a Corona virus that affects say goats. If we study how it affects goats and how to immunize goats against it and treat goats that catch it then if that virus would mutate and jump to humans would not that information be very helpful.

Maybe there are plans to already do this, I am a laymen so I don't know. Just seems to me there are things we can do to prevent the next one because this virus in many forms appears to want to live in humans too now for some reason.

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
The number of cases reported are for confirmed cases. Is there a published number of likely actual cases?

Here is my estimation method.

If one observes the death total for a given day, then assume that those people probably contracted the virus 14-21 days prior, one could additionally assume that the inverse of the deaths rate number of infections produced that total of dead. If we use that hypothesis, a WHO expected deaths rate of 3.6%, a 22 Mar total dead of 413, one calculates that 11,422 infections generated those deaths.

If we look back 14 days from 22 Mar, we find 106 new cases were identified. That is an undercounting of cases by a factor of ~100. Assuming that same undercounting in still occurring, we have 1,000,000 new cases every day.

Choosing a lower death rate or longer average time to death only makes the numbers worse.

Feel free to dissect my method.

Covar19

BANNED
Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Is recurrent exposure, either during recovery or during sickness, an issue affecting recovery outcomes? I'm asking because of reports that young adults in their 20s are being seen in hospitals, and because of the report of a 29 yo Chinese doctor that died.

My thoughts are that recurring exposure, even if one's immune system seems to have developed antibodies, can bombard the lungs with this aerosolized virus in such a way that the immune system can't keep up.

If this is true, then those recovering, including those sick, should be isolated and not put into a big room with others that are sick. Breathing contaminated air gives a direct route for the virus to get to the infected area - the lungs.

Reactions: cheerios
Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
Is this virus which may be not doing anything now in a higher immunity body (asymptomatic), but will do mutation to make it self stronger day by day .. once it gets the next body , will again start the same ..

For example 1-10 person numbered as per increasing immunity .. Then this virus will do mutation wrt immunity ... If it returns from 10th no person to 1st or 2nd .. that earlier asymptomatic person/mild symptom to be getting severe stage

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Do I answer a question about why- children do not have coronavirus? Answer -Blood pH * Please identified Identify the graph (pH - age) .
it seems that the virus does not resist the blood that has a high alkalinity

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I believe I’ve been infected, but teledoc told me I wouldn’t be tested due to not being in contact with a “confirmed case” and my age, which is frustrating.

I’m starting to feel a little better now, and my older parents want me to go visit them once I recover. Does anyone have any idea how long we’re ACTUALLY contagious with this virus? This seems to be a big question since there are so many people not getting tested and we’re trying to limit the spread...

Mar 28, 2020
Visit site
Got questions about the Coronavirus? Join us LIVE on Facebook, Thursday, April 2nd at 12p EST (9a PST).

Health Editor, Nicoletta Lanese of Live Science, will be briefing you on the latest coronavirus news as well as taking all your questions.

Got a question you'd like to ask? Post them here in this thread!
I think Doctors in America knew about this virus as early as Dec 2019.
After 2 weeks of no energy dad is rushed to hospital. He almost never came back home. Drowning in his own puss. 2 months until hes home. Week after dad gone mom gets sick. She said she thought she was going to die. She couldnt breathe, had fever, dry cough, body hurt lower back and pink eye
Got questions about the Coronavirus? Join us LIVE on Facebook, Thursday, April 2nd at 12p EST (9a PST).

Health Editor, Nicoletta Lanese of Live Science, will be briefing you on the latest coronavirus news as well as taking all your questions.

Got a question you'd like to ask? Post them here in this thread!
Dad get sick. Almost dies. Stays in hospital 2 months. Almost drowned in his own puss. Copd. and 71 years old. Doc have no idea what got him sick. Week after dad left mom gets sick. In bed 5 days. 6 weeks until she felt ok. Fever, dry cough, exhausted, she was scared she was dying, couldn't get enough air, chills, body hurt, lower back pain, sore throat, and very bad pink eye that cleared up when she got better. Diabetic type 2 and 70 years. Week after mom was sick I got sick. Scratchy throat, dry cough but did cough up globs of stuff first few days. Then as hard as I tried nothing more would come up but the pressure on my chest was so heavy, Most of the time I tried not to cough cuz it left me gasping for air. Had no energy at all. I was in bed 2 days. Took me 4 weeks to feel normal. Smoker 46 years old.
I came down sick Christmas eve 2019. Dad in hospital fighting for his life. He got sick beginning of Dec. Trying to figure out what virus my dad got which to this day they never figured it out they asked him a question. You get any packages from China at your house. My dad said why yes. About 50 package each day from China, Hong Kong and India. My dad told me this I though he was just being paranoid. End of Jan 2020 China breaks out in an Explosion of a deadly virus. My question the world learned of Sars 2 end of January. Why did the Doctor ask about mail coming from China? At this point there are no viruses that could survive that trip. Then comes the Corona and its particles were still found on the ship 17 days later. Hes not my doctor I cant ask him. My dads to tired doesnt want to think about it any more. By the way we live in California. My state is exploding in corona. We've been in lockdown for 2 weeks. I want to be tested for antibodies before they go back to sleep cuz I want to know if Im immune. I am not happy about that question the Doc asked. Thank you

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone! Here is a line of thought that might be fun to think about. Mongolian bat migration routes from November 2019 - January 2020. Mongolian bat fleas and raw dead bat meat. Where they are captured and sold for consumption. Yersinia pestis and Sars-CoV. The news article indicating 2 deaths from November 2019 and viral mutation. Could all of this be correlative?
I was thinking about the spread and the current affected humans of this virus. The spots that are most afflicted seem to be post-Mesopotamian cultures and countries probably with the highest percentage of the 4000 bc nomadic tribes that migrated west while burying the dead that had pestis.
I am no scientist but an avid international reader of news articles. I spend about 10 hours every day consuming journalistic information. I do not think this is correlative per say but I know that Mongolian history of pestis strains and their respective spread throughout history could be an interesting field of study considering the current hysteria. It could be interesting to me to understand where and what mammalian/avian species came from. I don't really have a question though just a general topic of interest here.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
Is this virus which may be not doing anything now in a higher immunity body (asymptomatic), but will do mutation to make it self stronger day by day .. once it gets the next body , will again start the same ..

For example 1-10 person numbered as per increasing immunity .. Then this virus will do mutation wrt immunity ... If it returns from 10th no person to 1st or 2nd .. that earlier asymptomatic person/mild symptom to be getting severe stage
So far, there is no proof that the COVID-19 strain is becoming more deadly as it adapts.
The end discussion of the 13 page document indicates this. Don't know if it is peer reviewed though.

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
I don't have a background in biology and have some simple questions, I need the information for my research.
1) Does covid2 exist as a cell?
2) What is the size of this cell or in whichever shape it exists
3) In order to visualize it on the surface, do we need a light microscope or an electron microscope?
4) There are several pictures of it on the internet, how does it look like on the surface.

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
I don't have a background in biology and have some simple questions, I need the information for my research.
1) Does covid2 exist as a cell?
2) What is the size of this cell or in whichever shape it exists
3) In order to visualize it on the surface, do we need a light microscope or an electron microscope?
4) There are several pictures of it on the internet, how does it look like on the surface.

For 4) https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...al-summary-covid-19-cases.html?topic=tilelink
This isn't an external virus. It doesn't have a proven visual tell. Just like any influenza

Mar 31, 2020
Visit site
We have a 24 hour update in our country. As long as you make sure to be careful around your aging population, the spread should not be as deadly but it will happen regardless over time.

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
I am a person who is 67 who have underlying rare condition Sarcoidosis which affects the lungs. I remember being treated with old standby medication plaquenil for my condition in the past. It took a while, but was successful. Although my Sarcoidosis is no comparison to this deadly virus. I would like to know is there some light in the tunnel that hydroxychloroquine with combination of other agents may just be a temporary answer until a vaccine is available?

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I have been reviewing my recent medical history and, in light of new theories about the coronavirus (see enclosed article) I am thinking that it is very possible that I had contracted it back in January prior to testing. I am now wondering if I could be tested to see if that is the case. It would be very helpful for me to know if I am immune so that my life could be less restricted ….. very difficult at my age as I am still blessed with an active lifestyle. It might also help the scientific studies that are being done to track the spread and better understand the symptoms of the disease.

Here is the history to which I am referring:

From December 28 through January 4 a couple from Venice were staying at my apartment with me. On January 21 I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night feeling very ill….nauseous, sweaty, dizzy, weak. I tried to get up and almost fainted. Thinking I might be having a heart attack, I called 911 and was taken to NYU Hospital by ambulance. I spent the night there undergoing various tests and, although they could not determine the cause of the symptoms, I was told that it was not a heart attack. They indicated that it might be some kind of virus. I was sent home and immediately began to experience severe diarrhea which lasted about a week, in addition to the nausea, weakness and dizziness. I all of my 87 years I have never felt so sick. When I saw my doctor on January 27, as advised by the ER doctor, I was still wobbly. At that time, he did some additional tests (not sure what they were)….corona virus was not really on the radar yet.

Can I be tested to see if I had the virus and am now immune? How would I arrange that?

Status
Not open for further replies.