Are ventilators being overused on COVID-19 patients?

I was good with the numbers until I saw the reference to "93% or lower" requiring supplemental oxygen. In my personal experience with athsma the target number for relief from hypoxia was 90% oxygenation on the SpO2 reading from the pulse oximeter. Medicare generally won't pay for home oxygen gear unless your oxygenation drops to 88% or less for at least 5 minutes a night while one is sleeping. This leads me to scratching my head over the articles stated concern over an oxygenation saturation level of 93%. My athsmatic and COPD suffering aquantances are generally grinning with relieved Glee on discovering their SpO2 to be as high as 93%. I could be wrong somehow: my authority on the matter isn't absolute. But 93% SpO2 sounds mighty high in the community of COPD sufferers and athsmatics to be setting off panicky alarm bells!

I note that according to Physicians Weekly statistics (Mortality Rates for Covid-19 Patients Placed on Ventilators) British COVID-19 patients survival rates are much higher than those reported from New York City hospitals as cited in this particular article. I'm wondering what they are doing differently in England that causes the improved apparent outcomes.