Question Are desktop PCs obsolete now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
I got myself a laptop just to use while traveling, but I find myself using it more and more, over my trusty desktop rig.
I was surprised to learn that my lappy can play games, has a ton of processing power and offers a lot of storage. Moreover, while I still don't trust the cloud for storage, more and more of the programs or services are using the cloud, and taking us with them.

I feel guilty leaving my PC powered down (I should probably see a therapist for this), but off I go to the barns, with my laptop in hand. Portability is wonderful. My phone is still too small and awkward to use for most meaningful applications, but my laptop? My best buddy.

My question is... are PCs on their way out now? Mine is.
Anyone want to buy a used PC?
Griff

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Ha! You must not be playing FPS games then. You can't win at fast-moving, memory-crunching games on a laptop.
Maybe in a few years, because I see your point. Laptops today outperform PCs of ten years ago. Heck, maybe over those of five years ago. I am looking at new laptops now myself. OMG is this the beginning of the end? Haha.

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Ha! You must not be playing FPS games then. You can't win at fast-moving, memory-crunching games on a laptop.
Maybe in a few years, because I see your point. Laptops today outperform PCs of ten years ago. Heck, maybe over those of five years ago. I am looking at new laptops now myself. OMG is this the beginning of the end? Haha.
yea but you got to get gaming laptops, i have 2 i7 7700k's with 1070 8gb. 32gbb ram 1 i7 8750k 10708gb 32gb ram and 1 i7 9750h 2070 8gb 32gbram,

cell phone technology made laptop technology evolve

they outperform desktops on user benchmark all the way. like Modern Warfare with full ultra and raytracing on is like 275fps so fast i have to turn mouse resolution down.

bad advice your giving out. they think about it alot cause they dontt overheat and the componets work perfect out of the box.

good choices, way better than PC towers, always issues with hardware combos. ive been PC gaming since apple2 in 1982., have had a truckload of PCs ald and new.

my older MSI is still a beast

the new one can play everygame on ultra with no lag or problems

the 7700k's are my very old ones. i use them for game development right now, like adobe stuff and vector graphics.

Jan 25, 2020
Visit site
yea but you got to get gaming laptops, i have 2 i7 7700k's with 1070 8gb. 32gbb ram 1 i7 8750k 10708gb 32gb ram and 1 i7 9750h 2070 8gb 32gbram,

cell phone technology made laptop technology evolve

they outperform desktops on user benchmark all the way. like Modern Warfare with full ultra and raytracing on is like 275fps so fast i have to turn mouse resolution down.

bad advice your giving out. they think about it alot cause they dontt overheat and the componets work perfect out of the box.

good choices, way better than PC towers, always issues with hardware combos. ive been PC gaming since apple2 in 1982., have had a truckload of PCs ald and new.

my older MSI is still a beast

the new one can play everygame on ultra with no lag or problems

the 7700k's are my very old ones. i use them for game development right now, like adobe stuff and vector graphics.

It's so obvious that you have virtually no idea what you're talking about, I literally had to make a comment here calling you out for it. No matter what products hit the market, laptops will ALWAYS be outperformed by desktop PCs. Desktops may be becoming less and less popular because the average person now prefers a smaller device that is more convenient to use and portable, but the fact remains that in terms of pure power, desktops will always reign king (at least they have in the history of computers, and will always until there's some crazy technological advancement). Even those gaming laptops you mentioned - yes, it's possible to get gaming laptops that are extremely powerful. However, if you're someone that plays games and requires a powerful computer, a desktop is far more suitable if you don't need to move it around. For the same price as one of those gaming laptops, you're able to get the highest-end parts to assemble a desktop that will be at least 1.5x as powerful as the laptop. Laptops will always have their limitations, mainly due to size - the heating units are generally much less discreet and effective due to them having to be crammed in amongst all the parts inside the laptop chassis - whereas desktop PCs allow virtually unlimited customisation and optimisation in terms of hardware. People also prefer the higher level of compatability with peripherals such as gaming keyboard, mice, and high-tech monitors to enhance their computer usage that are available to desktop users and not laptop users. The only reason for getting a gaming laptop over a proper desktop is convenience, and whilst quite a few people are willing to sacrifice the increased efficiency and adaptability of a desktop in favour of a laptop, the vast majority of gamers, engineers, coders, and anyone who needs a high-end computer will always prefer a desktop over a laptop for these reasons.

Therefore, a desktop will always be superior to a laptop in every category apart from convenience and size. If you're someone who requires power, there's literally no reason to go for a laptop over a desktop unless you move a lot and/or like to work in public places. Desktops aren't exactly on the way out, but are instead becoming more of a niche item to those who require one instead of a family staple. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the popularity of power-orientated desktops and custom-built PCs has never been higher.

**EDIT: I sound really angry at you, I should just clarify I don't mean to insult you haha. Just not sure why you would choose a laptop over a desktop unless you truly value the portability of it. Cool laptops anyway, I'm very jealous : P

Status
Not open for further replies.