Antarctica's Denman Glacier is sinking into the world's deepest canyon

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Antarctica's Denman Glacier is falling into the world's largest land canyon.

Antarctica's Denman Glacier is sinking into the world's deepest canyon : Read more
From what I have read, the common hypothesis in regard to melting glaciers is once the white and reflective glaciers melt, it will be replaced by water that is darker and will absorb the heat of the sun. At that point, the planet as a whole will find the temperatures year round rising at a rate never seen before by mankind. How fast and how hot is as yet unknown.

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
Brandon, please help me understand the math here... If the earth is covered by 140 million square miles of ocean and the Denman glacier is 800 square miles then the Denman would have to be 875000 feet deep to raise oceans by 5 ft. 140000000/800*5 so what am I missing here? People should know that the average thickness of ice on the 5.5 million square miles of Antarctica is 7000 feet enough to raise the oceans by approximately 50 feet but there does not appear to be enough ice in the 11000ft deep Denman to raise the oceans more than 0.6 ft a non-trivial amount to be sure but a far cry from 5 feet. How do I jive my math with yours?