Ancient never-before-seen viruses discovered locked up in Tibetan glacier

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
As human-made climate change melts glaciers the world over, these viral archives could be lost, the researchers noted. Research into ancient viruses "provides a first window into viral genomes and their ecology from glacier ice," the researchers wrote in the study, "and emphasizes their likely impact on abundant microbial groups [today]."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm somewhat surprised that a science journal made such an assumptive [and as yet, unproven leap] toward the bottom of this article in that they stated the glacier met was due to human activity. I'm not a climate denier but the statement just rang hollow with me as the causal factors for this statement are still under discussion worldwide and you can find a wide variety of experts willing to take sides for and against this assertion. I would suggest a modification to this statement be made.

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I do not believe in climate change, the earths temperature naturally fluctuates. This is all just a fabrication of the liberal party; first it was global warming, then the earth started getting colder again, naturally as with the fluctuation of earths temperature, they changed it to climate change. They change it to work for them. Now you could argue there is no evidence or data to support this, few years ago, a volcano erupted in Russia ( I think I do not remember) and the observed carbon dioxide output was more than triple the theoretical carbon dioxide given off by human activities over the course of their existence.

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I'm somewhat surprised that a science journal made such an assumptive [and as yet, unproven leap] toward the bottom of this article in that they stated the glacier met was due to human activity. I'm not a climate denier but the statement just rang hollow with me as the causal factors for this statement are still under discussion worldwide and you can find a wide variety of experts willing to take sides for and against this assertion. I would suggest a modification to this statement be made.

'Wide variety of experts'? The only type of expert that applies here are those who's fields derive from physics or chemistry, and 97% of those experts say it's due to excess carbon being dumped into the air by human processes. I'm an expert at programming, that doesn't mean my opinion on climate change accounts for jack because my specialty doesn't derive from chemistry and physics, in those areas I'm merely an educated layman. Also, no one is going to edit the article without actual proof, which does not include this mysterious 'wide variety of experts'.

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I do not believe in climate change, the earths temperature naturally fluctuates. This is all just a fabrication of the liberal party; first it was global warming, then the earth started getting colder again, naturally as with the fluctuation of earths temperature, they changed it to climate change. They change it to work for them. Now you could argue there is no evidence or data to support this, few years ago, a volcano erupted in Russia ( I think I do not remember) and the observed carbon dioxide output was more than triple the theoretical carbon dioxide given off by human activities over the course of their existence.

For every molecule of CO2 that volcanoes emit over the course of a year humans release 60 over a year. There has never been a volcano in recorded human history that has produced more CO2 than modern humans create in month, let alone a year, let alone 'all of human existence'. Of course, you don't remember the name, because it doesn't exist, and figments of imagination are easily forgotten.

Here's an article to set you straight, from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) one the leading government bodies studying global climate change, and employer of some of the world's preeminent climate scientists:

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
As human-made climate change melts glaciers the world over, these viral archives could be lost, the researchers noted. Research into ancient viruses "provides a first window into viral genomes and their ecology from glacier ice," the researchers wrote in the study, "and emphasizes their likely impact on abundant microbial groups [today]."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What the article said is entirely valid. There is an undeniable anthropogenic component to climate change. The extent of that is open to debate, but human activity has a disturbingly large negative impact.

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site

Agreed. Not to mention whether it's "human-made" or not doesn't seem relevant in this particular case. I'm not a denier either, but I don't like seeing journalistic bias of any kind, even the lightest and most innocent, especially these days. We all just gotta be a little more careful is all. (Well, ok, that's not "all", but that's for another thread entirely!)

To paraphrase Crazy Hair Alien Guy: "I'm not sayin' it's man-made Climate Change, but...Climate Change!" Absurd leaps of induction, and false assumptions leading to Rock Solid confirmation bias. The inclusion of Solar and Galactic forcing mechanisms in the IPCC CMIP6 modelling sets is pulling back the 40 year old veil on Climate Forcing Mechanisms.

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I believe in climate change, as I have been watching it change since the cold spell in the 1960s, but I am not certain that man is solely the cause of it, as some seem to believe. When Mt. St. Helens blew up back in 1980, the first thing the scientists said was that it threw out more chlorocarbons into the atmosphere than our industry had in 50 years. We have had plenty of volcanic eruptions before and since 1980, and if a quarter of them threw out as much greenhouse gasses as did St, Helens, then volcanoes are more responsible for climate change than the entire Industrial Age.

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Volcanoes contribute about 0.645 billion tons of carbon dioxide to the Earth's atmosphere per year. Human activity contributes about 29 billion tons per year. Those are facts. Based on facts like those, it would be reasonable to hypothesize that human activity has caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750. In science, theories are derived from empirical evidence and hypotheses that can be tested. It is okay to believe that climate change is not due to human activity, but that belief runs counter to the facts, hypotheses, and theories upon which climate science is built. It sounds like your belief that climate change is not due human activity is based solely on opinions. For example, you talk about some fictitious "liberal party" and their beliefs. Climate change has to do with science, not politics. Regardless of any political opinions people may hold, climate change will continue to occur if we don't find more effective ways to reverse the amount of carbon being released into the atmosphere. Also, there is no evidence to support the idea that anyone started to refer to the phenomenon as "climate change" instead of "global warming" because the earth started getting colder again. The Earth is steadily warming and has not started getting colder again. So there is no logic to that argument at all. Both terms have been used for decades and refer to different physical phenomena. There simply is no "they" (liberal party or otherwise) who changed the terms for political purposes. Again, believe whatever you want, but just be aware that your beliefs are based on opinions (probably someone else's and not your own) rather than on scientific data.

I recommend re-calibrating your journalistic GPS, the Fox News website is somewhere over to the right of here. But seriously, as soon as you start talking about "a fabrication of the liberal party" you reveal that you are speaking from the usual US-centric viewpoint of most climate change deniers. Once you get beyond the currently benighted shores of the US, you find that the governments of nearly all the 190+ nations on the planet, regardless of their political tilt, accept the truth of climate change. As do virtually all the governmental and non-governmental agencies, scientific associations and institutes, trade associations and any other organized or random groupings of human beings that are in a position to comment on or be affected by climate change.

So your supposed liberal conspiracy seems to have jumped the political fence and been taken up by pretty much everyone on the bloody planet regardless of their politics. Under such circumstances, the most reasonable assumption is that they are operating based on facts, not dumping hundreds of billions of dollars of their combined national currencies into fighting off dragons, sea serpents and other imaginary beasties.

Lastly, the funny thing about facts is that they aren't like quantum particles that are dependent on your observation to exist. They don't require your assent or belief in them to exist or to be facts, i'e., to be the truth, an accurate statement about the world around us. So when you start off announcing, quite proudly it would seem, that you don't believe in climate change, as if the subject at hand was UFOs or Bigfoot, you are calling your credibility into question far more than you are the credibility of the literal mountain of evidence that tells us that, yes, Virginia, there is climate change.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I thought glaciers moved, after all they are glaciers not ice fields? So the viruses would have been eventually released

As human-made climate change

I'm not a climate denier but the statement just rang hollow with me as the causal factors for this statement are still under discussion worldwide and you can find a wide variety of experts willing to take sides for and against this assertion. I would suggest a modification to this statement be made.

What about cow made climate change? 1.5 billion cows. They sure release a lot of gas.:D Oh moooo! We couldn't have a climate denier on here could we? :ROFLMAO: Gotta love those buzz words.lol!

Last edited:

Very well said and I concur. I don't claim any political party or believe in the fake 2 party system but it is easily seen as a leftist agenda. Check out this site if you want to get a good laugh at it. https://skepticalscience.com/climate-change-little-ice-age-medieval-warm-period.htm

It has become a religion to them.
If you don't believe the propaganda you are called a climate denier. Just like if you don't believe in Jesus your called an atheist.

For every molecule of CO2 that volcanoes emit over the course of a year humans release 60 over a year. There has never been a volcano in recorded human history that has produced more CO2 than modern humans create in month, let alone a year, let alone 'all of human existence'. Of course, you don't remember the name, because it doesn't exist, and figments of imagination are easily forgotten.

Here's an article to set you straight, from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) one the leading government bodies studying global climate change, and employer of some of the world's preeminent climate scientists:

You do realize that is a government site don't you? Have you not learned by now not to trust what your gov tells you?

What the article said is entirely valid. There is an undeniable anthropogenic component to climate change. The extent of that is open to debate, but human activity has a disturbingly large negative impact.

Why doesn't anybody ever seem to notice the Geoengineering that is goin on? That is the number one culprit to this "Climate Change". We are like mice. We see that big piece of cheese there and we are hungry so we go and eat it. Until the trap smacks us on the back and kills us.

Volcanoes contribute about 0.645 billion tons of carbon dioxide to the Earth's atmosphere per year. Human activity contributes about 29 billion tons per year. Those are facts. Based on facts like those, it would be reasonable to hypothesize that human activity has caused the carbon dioxide increase in Earth's atmosphere since 1750. In science, theories are derived from empirical evidence and hypotheses that can be tested. It is okay to believe that climate change is not due to human activity, but that belief runs counter to the facts, hypotheses, and theories upon which climate science is built. It sounds like your belief that climate change is not due human activity is based solely on opinions. For example, you talk about some fictitious "liberal party" and their beliefs. Climate change has to do with science, not politics. Regardless of any political opinions people may hold, climate change will continue to occur if we don't find more effective ways to reverse the amount of carbon being released into the atmosphere. Also, there is no evidence to support the idea that anyone started to refer to the phenomenon as "climate change" instead of "global warming" because the earth started getting colder again. The Earth is steadily warming and has not started getting colder again. So there is no logic to that argument at all. Both terms have been used for decades and refer to different physical phenomena. There simply is no "they" (liberal party or otherwise) who changed the terms for political purposes. Again, believe whatever you want, but just be aware that your beliefs are based on opinions (probably someone else's and not your own) rather than on scientific data.

Move to Wisconsin it is colder than you would believe. Last year it got to negative 55 degrees. How can I put out more CO2 so I can make it warmer? If the Earth is supposedly getting warmer I sure can't wait until it does. It would be great to never have Winter. We have to make sure Al Gore keeps flying around in his jet and burning all those fossil fuels in his mansion so we can get warmer.:giggle:

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was going to comment on that very same thing...When did Humans achieve Demigod status

I agree that no significant climate change has occurred due to human activity. In fact, in the past the CO2 levels were far higher! Nevertheless, whatever mess and pollution we humans create on the surface we should clean up so that we don't get accustomed to living in our own ever increasing filth!

The agenda to collect more taxes globally is driven by the corporate/elites of this world so that the 'can't-be-bothered-not-my-problem' masses willingly pay more taxes in one form or another. All one needs is a plausible but difficult-to-prove global-issue topic, such as this one. For example, does the (Al Gore - An inconvenient truth) CO2 curve lead or lag the temperature curve? As is the case that it is the rising temperature curve that leads the lagging CO2 curve, and not the other way around. But that is in the details and who cares about that ...........

The oceans, being warmed by the earth's mantle and core, give up more and more of its dissolved CO2. The warming mantle also starts to thaw the permafrost to release more methane (an even more stronger greenhouse gas than CO2) from frozen surface layers and those methane hydrate layer/deposits previously held stable under pressure in the oceans. Satellite thermal photos show how many hot-spots exist under the polar caps, under the ocean floors and the magma plumes that rise up to warm up the oceans. And one must not forget the ever-continuing plate-tectonics and volcanic activity around the world.

Granted that the overall cyclic picture is likely to be more complicated than the above. For example, there is a natural build-up of radioactive activity in the earth’s core. Then there are the gravitational effects due to solar planetary alignments (including our moon) which can lead to tidal heating within the core. And don't forget the effects of currents induced in the earth's core due to constant bombardment by the solar wind (charged particle) plasma stream (Northern lights) which could also help in raising the core's temperature over eons. Then there is our periodic fluctuating magnetic field which depends on the distribution and movement of the currents in the conductive molten core.

Food for thought .......... the picture is far from simple.

But let us be dramatic, raise billions, no, no that is not enough, go for trillions of $$$, in funds now (the elitist/business model demands it!), tax everything, let us get more and more money flowing into the pockets of the big corporation/elites whose activities are the cause of the 'surface climatic changes'. So, let us carry on duping the masses, rather than accept the complexity of the issue and do our bit to clean our act up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truthseeker007
I agree that no significant climate change has occurred due to human activity. In fact, in the past the CO2 levels were far higher! Nevertheless, whatever mess and pollution we humans create on the surface we should clean up so that we don't get accustomed to living in our own ever increasing filth!

The agenda to collect more taxes globally is driven by the corporate/elites of this world so that the 'can't-be-bothered-not-my-problem' masses willingly pay more taxes in one form or another. All one needs is a plausible but difficult-to-prove global-issue topic, such as this one. For example, does the (Al Gore - An inconvenient truth) CO2 curve lead or lag the temperature curve? As is the case that it is the rising temperature curve that leads the lagging CO2 curve, and not the other way around. But that is in the details and who cares about that ...........

The oceans, being warmed by the earth's mantle and core, give up more and more of its dissolved CO2. The warming mantle also starts to thaw the permafrost to release more methane (an even more stronger greenhouse gas than CO2) from frozen surface layers and those methane hydrate layer/deposits previously held stable under pressure in the oceans. Satellite thermal photos show how many hot-spots exist under the polar caps, under the ocean floors and the magma plumes that rise up to warm up the oceans. And one must not forget the ever-continuing plate-tectonics and volcanic activity around the world.

Granted that the overall cyclic picture is likely to be more complicated than the above. For example, there is a natural build-up of radioactive activity in the earth’s core. Then there are the gravitational effects due to solar planetary alignments (including our moon) which can lead to tidal heating within the core. And don't forget the effects of currents induced in the earth's core due to constant bombardment by the solar wind (charged particle) plasma stream (Northern lights) which could also help in raising the core's temperature over eons. Then there is our periodic fluctuating magnetic field which depends on the distribution and movement of the currents in the conductive molten core.

Food for thought .......... the picture is far from simple.

But let us be dramatic, raise billions, no, no that is not enough, go for trillions of $$$, in funds now (the elitist/business model demands it!), tax everything, let us get more and more money flowing into the pockets of the big corporation/elites whose activities are the cause of the 'surface climatic changes'. So, let us carry on duping the masses, rather than accept the complexity of the issue and do our bit to clean our act up.

Great points! :) You want to know the whole crazy think in all of this? The one thing that keeps the Earth alive will kill it in the end. That is the very Sun itself. In 1-5 billion years but that is the final truth it all boils down to. So no matter what humans do here the Sun will kill the Earth in the End. It would make some great poetry don't you think? Maybe the elite should start taxing the Sun!! :ROFLMAO:

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site

Are you suggesting that nearly all of the world's scientists that study the climate are doing so because they were told by the "liberal" party? First of all, temperature and climate are not interchangeable words. There is ZERO evidence that climate change isn't occurring. Open your eyes. Please explain why you think the world's scientists are lying. Do you also think that the Earth is flat?

Reactions: dk72
Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Very well said and I concur. I don't claim any political party or believe in the fake 2 party system but it is easily seen as a leftist agenda. Check out this site if you want to get a good laugh at it. https://skepticalscience.com/climate-change-little-ice-age-medieval-warm-period.htm

It has become a religion to them.
If you don't believe the propaganda you are called a climate denier. Just like if you don't believe in Jesus your called an atheist.

Seek help.

Reactions: dk72
Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
'Wide variety of experts'? The only type of expert that applies here are those who's fields derive from physics or chemistry, and 97% of those experts say it's due to excess carbon being dumped into the air by human processes. I'm an expert at programming, that doesn't mean my opinion on climate change accounts for jack because my specialty doesn't derive from chemistry and physics, in those areas I'm merely an educated layman. Also, no one is going to edit the article without actual proof, which does not include this mysterious 'wide variety of experts'.
Your wide variety of experts are not that expert after all. Most have no more knowledge of climate and meteorology than you and I and most never take the trouble to get facts but just go along with the political winds of the day. Follow the money on Climate Change and you will discover that it is really just another way to take control of your money and your life with more government - world government at that. The globalist will lie, cheat and stop at nothing to own you.

Reactions: Truthseeker007