Ancient Egyptian temple reveals previously unknown star constellations

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
This article has a misleading headline. They did not discover previously unknown star constellations, but unknown Egyptian names for constellations that may have been known by other names elsewhere. One would think that a science-based publication would be more careful about that, since facts and facts alone rule a scientist's world.

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
This article has a misleading headline. They did not discover previously unknown star constellations, but unknown Egyptian names for constellations that may have been known by other names elsewhere. One would think that a science-based publication would be more careful about that, since facts and facts alone rule a scientist's world.

That's a good point. I was intrigued by this article because I recently found that the Old World constellations (and the pantheon of gods) all descended from its Indian prototype, somewhat similar to the family of Indo-European languages (actually, our constellations go all the way back at least to Göbekli Tepe in Turkey, 13k years ago). So, I was curious how Egypt would have bucked the trend.