Adverts.

At the time of writing out of the top 10 new threads on the Community section 7 were adverts (1 was an old thread replied to).

I understand that finance needs to be generated but the impression comes across that this is an advertising site and would deter new people that start at the top and scroll down.

Just some personal feedback, perhaps 1 in 4 would be more rewarding and prevent the scanning/ missing.

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Thanks very much for the feedback. We'll be sure to pass it along.

With the end of year season having US Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Christmas, this is a period of time when publishers will share these types of posts to help folks looking to do gift shopping, but finding the right balance can be challenging. It's a work in progress, so please bear with us.

Dec 14, 2021
Visit site
It's kind of crazy how normalized overconsumption has become. I mean, you all are scientists... You know consumption culture, created by America and spread around the Globe, is completely unsustainable and is going to get a lot of people killed, right? The US Pentagon rightly views Climate Change as the biggest national security threat in coming decades. Our behavior is going to bring on scarcity followed by migration and conflicts in addition to the major climate disasters that are already happening. Why aren't we talking about the looming prospect of billions of human deaths in coming decades? Even as disasters have increased in scope and frequency, the only thing our leaders seem to be concerned with is economic activity. Disasters are actually a boon to economic activity, and there will be trillions of dollars spent in coming years cleaning up after the tragedies headed our way (Hurricane Ida alone caused $65 billion in damage last year). Our leaders aren't going to do what's necessary, and not only are we not setting the example, we really aren't even having the conversation we need to have.

Our leaders aren't going to do what's necessary, and not only are we not setting the example, we really aren't even having the conversation we need to have.

The site isn't a political one and I am going to struggle to word this in a scientific way but will try...

Government is typically elected based on their pledges/ promises... The population behaviour is more about seeing personal benefit to them short term... Kind of needing a reward. I do not think the reward sensation will kick in if "do what's necessary" is the promise... It would be too easy for opposition to reward the population with a promise to solve a problem today, like bringing energy prices down by offsetting "green money" against fuel taxes...
There are parties around (UK for example) that are pushing the "do what's necessary", but the population don't want that....