Advancements in blood-donation?

Nov 21, 2019
Visit site
I'm a blood-donor (yay me!), but would prefer not to have to be.
How close are we to manufacturing blood - so that we don't have to prod people with needles - or some other leap forward with in this line of science?
What innovations have been made recently or are on the verge of creation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Interestingly, artificial blood has been around for some time. The NIH has a few items on this, with some pretty good information on artificial blood.

There have been some pretty epic breakthroughs using pluripotent stem cells to "mass produce" O-type red blood cells, but these are still in trial stages. It's definitely something that scientists are working on and of great importance, as 5 million Americans and many millions more internationally require blood transfusions per year.

Reactions: Henrik
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
I'm a blood-donor (yay me!), but would prefer not to have to be.
How close are we to manufacturing blood - so that we don't have to prod people with needles - or some other leap forward with in this line of science?
What innovations have been made recently or are on the verge of creation?

From what I know so far, we have come close. Here is a link which you may find interesting.

Reactions: Henrik
Nov 26, 2019
Visit site
Is that true?! I had to be put under when i had my wisdom teeth out because I have a REALLY good flight reflex and my dentist was like NOPE. :ROFLMAO: :innocent:

Chewing gum will lessen the flight & fight tendency but I wouldn't think so when extracting wisdom teeth. I'd be flying out of the dental chair with you . . . I'd be opting to go under myself :)

But yes, it is true about chewing gum . . .

Reactions: sward and Henrik
Nov 21, 2019
Visit site
That's really interesting. I'm guessing that has something to do with ancient mammal heritage - that our species felt safest when eating something, probably in a group which, in fact, a dentist chair resembles.

Question is if you get blood from a person and blood is energy. Would you develop habits of that person from having their blood. I know that tends to happen with patients that get a new heart from somebody. You somehow retain some of their energy.