2 satellites will narrowly avoid colliding at 32,800 mph over Pittsburgh on Thursday

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
The articles says, "... over Pittsburgh on Thursday evening (Jan. 29)."
Thursday is Jan. 30.
So which is it? Thursday the 30th or Wednesday the 29th? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
OK, I assume that neither is in a counter-rotational orbit, so, they are both in a (general) west to east path. Does anyone know, or know where we can find out, the individual angles of inclination of these two birds with respect to the equator? We could get a rough guess of a potential impact speed if we has an impact angle. Or not.

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
OK, I assume that neither is in a counter-rotational orbit, so, they are both in a (general) west to east path. Does anyone know, or know where we can find out, the individual angles of inclination of these two birds with respect to the equator? We could get a rough guess of a potential impact speed if we has an impact angle. Or not.

The graphic on another news source shows a fairly closely aligned north/south collision course.

My point was only to clarify they are each moving about 16,400 mph at that altitude. 32,800 mph is a combined speed.

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
A collision would create a debris belt that would endanger spacecraft worldwide.

2 satellites will narrowly avoid colliding at 32,800 mph over Pittsburgh on Thursday : Read more

I don't get it. This is what the space shuttle was designed for. Now that the space shuttle has been put on ice who protects us from all the garbage in space. Sorry but there is something wrong with trying to clean up the damage that we have done to this planet when we have so much space garbage. What is the sense of saving the planet earth without saving the space around it. God for bid we go any further than Mars or even beyond our galaxy if we keep leaving garbage every where were we go. The UN should really be on this and include it in their conquest for renewable energy that does not pollute the universe. Maybe we should include space clean up for aliens that want citizenship with the planet earth.

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
lmao get real this is to take your mind off the real issues ....satellites are fake ...NASA is a scam
Yeah like searching for BIGFOOT or proving the earth is FLAT! What a shame that this satellite article is distracting 99% of the nation with it's captivating subject matter. But what, if satellites and space is fake, how could my cousin/sister have gotten abducted by aliens? OMG my brain just exploded.

Reactions: kamikrazee
Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
OK, as I write, it is about 90 minutes past the expected (potential) impact time. What happened? How close was the miss, or, how large is the debris cloud?

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
I don't get it. This is what the space shuttle was designed for. Now that the space shuttle has been put on ice who protects us from all the garbage in space. Sorry but there is something wrong with trying to clean up the damage that we have done to this planet when we have so much space garbage. What is the sense of saving the planet earth without saving the space around it. God for bid we go any further than Mars or even beyond our galaxy if we keep leaving garbage every where were we go. The UN should really be on this and include it in their conquest for renewable energy that does not pollute the universe. Maybe we should include space clean up for aliens that want citizenship with the planet earth.

So I'm not sure if its regulated or even in a treaty but for modern satellites, its generally expected that they be set on a path that obviously wont overlap with others. More importantly, they also are expected to have a mechanism that will force it to deorbit at the end of its life cycle. When they are small enough, they burn up on reentry... otherwise I guess they crash em into the ocean. I assume the problem this time, is this wasn't really a thing for "smaller" satellites back in the 80s, which is why that old bird is causing this problem.

As far as space junk goes, that's no where near a concern when compared to the environment inside the atmosphere. As long as we don't get a run away debris effect, (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome) or even if we do, there are technologies being developed to handle that. Even a worst case scenario is reversible, quickly by burning it with lasers, or even just waiting it out over 100s of years. Besides, I know it was a joke, but if aliens show up with a friendly interest in our planet, they will be so far advanced that fixing a debris field will be equivalent to a normal ride in their space ship. If anything, the debris field might make us easier to spot!

Jan 29, 2020
Visit site
OK, as I write, it is about 90 minutes past the expected (potential) impact time. What happened? How close was the miss, or, how large is the debris cloud?

Well we still have internet...... but then again I think that is thanks to the under sea cables mostly...... I guess without actual news the first thing to go would be online weather satellites. That and satellite TV lol. I think the atricle said they might come within 40 feet? That's insanely close for objects in orbit. In fact, I feel like in normal orbital calculations, that is probably within the margin of error lol (obviously, im no expert)

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
NASA can outsource ballistics to Russia ;)
So far US satellites hit 1 Russian spy satellite that was on orbit on September 14, 1997 when Iridium constellation was deployed. Now 2 US satellites...

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
picture shows the spitzer telescope, but it's not one of them that might collide. It's set to decommission on the 30th (?). unless ofcourse it's another big plot to confuse events to hide something important (to someone).

Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
What about the new 30,000 space x satellites they are putting in low earth orbit that will “ give the entire world internet “. Nobody thinks that will be a problem? They already have 650 of them operating now. When it’s complete, it will cover the earth like a giant net. But hey, at least the southernmost island tribal council can know what’s happening on Facebook.