2,700-year-old petroglyphs depicting people, ships and animals discovered in Sweden

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I would expect images that old to be far less crisp and precise based on what I have seen in the American West. How was the date established and why are there no pictures showing the "moss" that was mentioned?

Reactions: OggdaBear
May 30, 2023
Visit site
Agreed, I would expect more weathering and discoloration as well as lichen growth. However, if genuine, then I think the horses with humps might be depicting camels. Maybe someone made a long trip down the Volga before the Vikings?

Reactions: OggdaBear
Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
I would expect images that old to be far less crisp and precise based on what I have seen in the American West. How was the date established and why are there no pictures showing the "moss" that was mentioned?
If one reads that article it said that the moss was removed. I wonder if they also toughed up the carvings - if genuine.

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
The article mentions the moss was removed. Also a practice in Scandinavia is to paint petroglyphs in an effort to ease their visibility. Not defending the practice, just mentioning facts.

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Agreed, I would expect more weathering and discoloration as well as lichen growth. However, if genuine, then I think the horses with humps might be depicting camels. Maybe someone made a long trip down the Volga before the Vikings?
The article mentions the moss was removed. Also a practice in Scandinavia is to paint petroglyphs in an effort to ease their visibility. Not defending the practice, just mentioning facts. They're very neat there with their rock art.

As for the "camels", what you see are horse rider on their horse. The animals depicted look exactly like the horse linked to the chariots.

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
Relative datation can be obtained approximately among other things by what you can identify or recognized depicted by rock art, here for example horse riders and chariots.