12 Coronavirus myths busted by science

Page 3 - For the science geek in everyone, Live Science breaks down the stories behind the most interesting news and photos on the Internet.
Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
Regarding #2 "
Myth: You're waaaay less likely to get this than the flu

Not necessarily. "

I disagree with the way this is said. At least in most places, you ARE way more likely to get the flu. Although the coronavirus has a higher R0, it is not circulating widely in the United States and most countries. And not only is the flu potentially deadly, illness can last a very long time and cause disability and interruption of your life/career. So people should be taking the flu seriously and get a flu shot. Especially since it could be devastating to get both viruses at the same time.

This did not age well. For the record, the USA is on schedule exactly according to the doubling of cases every 4 days and this means you will have 100 million by May...and 200 million about 4 days later. Also the actual mortality rate (calculated using the deaths and recoveries, and ignoring the infected number which is not really knowable and definitely not accurate. The use of the standing infected rate and deaths from any moment is a trick to deceive people. This has a 14 day mean incubation time so you need to take the infected numbers from 14 days previously. Or better as I did, the recoveries and deaths. The end product as such. This gives the biggest sample and longest time. Worldwide it is between 15 and 20%. The USA has been averaging 37% for the last few weeks I have been calculating it.

Yes, they are trying to keep panic down by lowballing the mortality. Even though mortality is not the scariest thing about this, not even when it is as seems about 20%. The contagiousness which you seem to have ignored in this answer is the problem along with the need for medical intervention to keep the death toll at the level it is. It is perfectly designed to overwhelm the health systems of any nation. The only solution is early isolation as China did and even then it was only once they started to isolate those who tested positive and had contact with those who tested positive that they began to bring it down. So given they're trying to avoid panic at this level and yet clearly seeking a degree of panic why? Easy if you ever herded sheep. You need to panic the sheep enough to get them to go where you want...but too much to scatter them which loses control. We're being herded.

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
To correct you a dog has tested positive in the last week of one of the infecteds owners. So you might want to correct that. Misinformation is bad.
The dog tested weak positive. It was in close proximity to the infected owner. A pot plant in close contact with an infected person would test weak positive.

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
To correct you a dog has tested positive in the last week of one of the infecteds owners. So you might want to correct that. Misinformation is bad.
The article says: ”Previous research has found that coronaviruses don't survive long on objects such as letters and packages.”

But viruses, according to many scholarly definitions, are non-living organisms that replicate inside living cells. A non-living organism can’t be killed., though they can be stopped from replicating. That’s part of the problem with viruses and why the diseases they cause can’t easily be treated.. It’s a completey different process from killing a bacterial infection. Bacteria are living organisms that can be killed.. As example, tuberculosis is caused by a bacteria. Small pox, measles, mumps, chicken pox, herpes, AIDS, and shingles are some diseases that are caused by [non-living] viruses. Viral diseases are difficult or impossible to treat effectively. They can be prevented, however, by a vaccine.

Viruses are not made out of cells, they can't keep themselves in a stable state, they don't grow, and they can't make their own energy. Even though they definitely replicate and adapt to their environment, viruses are more like androids than real living organisms.”

It is just one theory. Actually viruses are seen as living things by most microbiologists and all terminology around them reflects this. Just not living the way we normally define it. The fact they need a host to replicate does not eliminate them from contention as living. They most certainly are not mineral or chemicals only. I'd say the presence of RNA/DNA defines life myself, even if the only thing is a strand of DNA/RNA. It has everything needed to change and replicate once it lodges in a suitable host. It is something of a parasite. Both more and less.

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
Regarding #2 "
Myth: You're waaaay less likely to get this than the flu

Not necessarily. "

I disagree with the way this is said. At least in most places, you ARE way more likely to get the flu. Although the coronavirus has a higher R0, it is not circulating widely in the United States and most countries. And not only is the flu potentially deadly, illness can last a very long time and cause disability and interruption of your life/career. So people should be taking the flu seriously and get a flu shot. Especially since it could be devastating to get both viruses at the same time.

I know somebody who has just recovered from the CV-19 virus and NOTHING she experienced resembles the flu. I have read other reports from people who have survived it and their accounts also do not resemble the flu. The descriptions are quite different from anything I ever heard about flu.

I had a bout of something last winter myself and quite a few did not just here but other places too I have since heard. I'd not had any viral or bacterial infection in over 36 years until then. This thing came on so fast and suddenly and the effects were so debilitating that flu did not come to mind for me at the time either. The coughing was vicious and came out of nowhere and it left me exhausted after about 10 hours straight of it. Over the next 2 weeks, I was reduced to a wreck and was barely able to get myself to a doctor. By then I had pneumonia and was nearly dead. After looking at reports from some with SARS behind them I suspect it was a SARS virus also. No doubt undergone some mutations in the time but nothing else seemed likely.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
If this report is correct, then why is there under 3,00 deaths from SARS2 and over 79,000 from flu world wide figures?
The infection RO is still holding at 2.2 that means around 1 - 4 people can be infected from each person with the virus.
The main reason for all this hype and news about SARS 2 is, it has an incubation period of up to 14 days, where the flu shows within 24 hours.
Why no "Warnings" about the way the flu has killed and infected many more people that this virus?
Even with a vaccine for flu, no vaccine for SARS 2 Yet, as testing has only just started earlier this week?

This has not aged well I suggest but sadly there are people still asking this question all over. The answer is so simple it astounds me anyone ever asked it at all. the answer is TIME. Flu is ubiquitous. CV-19 is on its maiden tour of the planet. It has yet to reach all corners and it has a 14-day mean incubation period. This means you only have to wait a little while before it will catch up and given its contagiousness which is at the outer edge of extreme it will easily overhaul any flu virus. I was aware it must be pretty seriously contagious when we began hearing of so many infected health care workers. They would presumably be wearing serious protection, especially when dealing with a new pathogen. Yet clearly it was not stopping this thing.

Reactions: cecilia fx
Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
How about this from https://microbiologysociety.org/pub...e/article/are-viruses-alive-what-is-life.html

“No, viruses are not alive.”

or this from http://www.virology.ws/2004/06/09/are-viruses-living/:

“Viruses are not living things. Viruses are complicated assemblies of molecules, including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates, but on their own they can do nothing until they enter a living cell. Without cells, viruses would not be able to multiply. Therefore, viruses are not living things.”

Not the same thing obviously but many parasitic worms cannot reproduce themselves without a host either. This does not define life. I'd suggest the presence of RNA/DNA does. Even if that is all it is, this is the stuff of life.

Mar 26, 2020
Visit site
But viruses, according to many scholarly definitions, are non-living organisms that replicate inside living cells. A non-living organism can’t be killed., though they can be stopped from replicating. That’s part of the problem with viruses and why the diseases they cause can’t easily be treated.. It’s a completey different process from killing a bacterial infection. Bacteria are living organisms that can be killed.. As example, tuberculosis is caused by a bacteria. Small pox, measles, mumps, chicken pox, herpes, AIDS, and shingles are some diseases that are caused by [non-living] viruses. Viral diseases are difficult or impossible to treat effectively. They can be prevented, however, by a vaccine.

This is a case where biologists are incorrect. The main criterion for a living organism ought to be that it shows an autonomous purposeful behavior. Since orthodox science rules out teleology from the start, it can't accurately distinguish living organisms from non-living entities. But the behavior of viruses only makes sense if they're regarded as living organisms. They are parasitic, true, but they do reproduce after their own fashion. For that matter, human beings are not self reproducing but required a cooperate effort. All of which just points up one of the great shortcomings of contemporary science....
[/QUOTE]

I'd like to add a minor point to the last bit. To my mind the greatest shortcoming of science today is the assumption by the public at large and not a few 'scientists' that it is a doctrine, rather than a process. Just as knowledge is always evolving, scientific understanding is too. That which we "KNOW" for a fact today is often disproved once and for all tomorrow. What we deduce from day to day depends on what we know and in absence of what we do not know, nothing much can be proved, just supported with evidence. Things can of course be disproved. The certainty among the public that if a scientist says a thing it is true is matched by the assumption by some scientists that they are infallible.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Myth: The virus was probably made in a lab
No evidence suggests that the virus is man-made.

EXCEPT the Chinees national x 2 who have testified that yes in fact this was man-made in Wuhan and deliberately released into the wild by the ChiComs

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Vaccines prevent deaths, they don't cause them! We need medicine to help those with severe cases. Also, just because one baby got better without medicine we can't declare that there is no need for one.
I have had covid in dec 2019, before anyone heard that word. I was quite ill. The worst FLU that I ever had. I’m also have an immunodeficiency. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is treated by a immunosuppressant. That being said it is a seasonal virus nastier then most we have seen but it is the flu. It has been used to terrify the world and most of the threat is over stated. Most people a vast majority would not have a problem with this bug. The number have been exaggerated tremendously to scare and control population. It has been the tool of the left , a tool of doom and gloom. The answer is not to hide in your basement. With a masks on. This mask does little to stop this thing. It is very small and will pass through a fabric with no trouble. Now I have not gotten sick again now 10 months later. I have worn a mask when required but if not required I don’t. What came first the virus or the egg? The virus has been here forever. It will continue to mutate and will never be completely defeated. Much of this is political. If it was not an election coming it would not be an issue. Don’t believe the numbers posted they are greatly exaggerated. They are inflated 4 to 5 fold!!!! Keep smiling, come out of the basement, and live this thing life. Enjoy 😊

Gringoz

BANNED
Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
This did not age well. For the record, the USA is on schedule exactly according to the doubling of cases every 4 days and this means you will have 100 million by May...and 200 million about 4 days later. Also the actual mortality rate (calculated using the deaths and recoveries, and ignoring the infected number which is not really knowable and definitely not accurate. The use of the standing infected rate and deaths from any moment is a trick to deceive people. This has a 14 day mean incubation time so you need to take the infected numbers from 14 days previously. Or better as I did, the recoveries and deaths. The end product as such. This gives the biggest sample and longest time. Worldwide it is between 15 and 20%. The USA has been averaging 37% for the last few weeks I have been calculating it.

Yes, they are trying to keep panic down by lowballing the mortality. Even though mortality is not the scariest thing about this, not even when it is as seems about 20%. The contagiousness which you seem to have ignored in this answer is the problem along with the need for medical intervention to keep the death toll at the level it is. It is perfectly designed to overwhelm the health systems of any nation. The only solution is early isolation as China did and even then it was only once they started to isolate those who tested positive and had contact with those who tested positive that they began to bring it down. So given they're trying to avoid panic at this level and yet clearly seeking a degree of panic why? Easy if you ever herded sheep. You need to panic the sheep enough to get them to go where you want...but too much to scatter them which loses control. We're being herded.
I had it, no biggie

May 29, 2020
Visit site
This author is so out of Left field (likely due to brainwashing in Journalism school) will only take on a couple points. I am a risk control consultant with degrees in Risk Management and Business from Univ of Mn. CV is clearly now signficantly less dangerous than the Flu with CDC finally coming clean on their falsifying mortality (and even infection rates). CV is 80% LESS dangerous than last years Flu season. based on confirmed YTD deaths from COVID only, without co-morbidities which are the most likely cause of death, or underlying cause of death (UCOD) definitions which they make up as they go.

Secondly, we know now that masks do not work for a variety of reasons. A recent study indicated that the vast majority of people that were infected with CV wore masks religiously. Still, no matter as these people largely had zero symptoms - which is unheard of for virtually all other communicable diseases, including flu. Whether masks cause breathing problems is academic, they don't work for the vast majority regardless. I also take issue that wearing masks do not CAUSE health problems. It is quite possible than in the recent mask study that the people wearing masks daily, on the streets, going to bed at night etc, are the most likely to get sick because they are inhaling viruses, germs and bacteria in the masks that human beings have safely expelled for years.

More here: https://worldyturnings.blog/2020/10/07/plandemic-becomes-clear/

Mar 6, 2020
Visit site
I have had covid in dec 2019, before anyone heard that word. I was quite ill. The worst FLU that I ever had. I’m also have an immunodeficiency. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is treated by a immunosuppressant. That being said it is a seasonal virus nastier then most we have seen but it is the flu. It has been used to terrify the world and most of the threat is over stated. Most people a vast majority would not have a problem with this bug. The number have been exaggerated tremendously to scare and control population. It has been the tool of the left , a tool of doom and gloom. The answer is not to hide in your basement. With a masks on. This mask does little to stop this thing. It is very small and will pass through a fabric with no trouble. Now I have not gotten sick again now 10 months later. I have worn a mask when required but if not required I don’t. What came first the virus or the egg? The virus has been here forever. It will continue to mutate and will never be completely defeated. Much of this is political. If it was not an election coming it would not be an issue. Don’t believe the numbers posted they are greatly exaggerated. They are inflated 4 to 5 fold!!!! Keep smiling, come out of the basement, and live this thing life. Enjoy 😊
Not very overstated when there's 40 million people out there infected. This cannot be treated as a political thing when people are in hospitals dying. This is no "tool of the left", and politicizing something that kills people won't help us stop COVID.

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
This article is propaganda.

By definition, any double dose vaccine that requires a booster 3 to 6 months in is a medical failure. More people are suffering adverse effects from the vaccines then the disease itself.

Covid survival rate is 99.98% as per CDC for anyone aged under 70. That means that only 2 out of 10,000 people die from it. When you furthermore consider that 94% of these few people die WITH covid, meaning with comorbidities where they would have been done in by any old flu, that means that in actuality, less than 2 people per 100,000 cases die directly from covid - and this without treatments proven to work, such as ivermectin and hydrochloroquine. If patients were given treatment, there would be no pandemic and no vaccines. It ain't about health - it's about the implementation of totalitarianism. It is incremental and premeditated. A psyop predicated on fear, propaganda and censorship.

This article is propaganda.

By definition, any double dose vaccine that requires a booster 3 to 6 months in is a medical failure. More people are suffering adverse effects from the vaccines then the disease itself.

Why is it a medical failure and what adverse effects from the vaccine are worse than the deaths from the disease itself? I am picturing a zombie apocalypse in your theory.

DMH

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
There's plenty of nonsense about the coronavirus online. Here are some of the biggest COVID-19 myths out there and the science to explain why they aren't true.

12 Coronavirus myths busted by science : Read more

What is the likelihood that SARS-CoV-2 jumped from a species of monkeys to humans like HIV/AIDS did?

Myth: Wearing masks can cause CO2 poisoning

This fallacy was started by cigarette smokers. I used to work at a company where the lady next to me was a smoker and had to wear a mask. She would complain about not being able to breathe with her mask on. Coupled with her smoking and the CO2 still in her lungs that she was breathing out and into the mask and then inhaling again from the mask, I can see why smokers would complain about being poisoned.

Last edited:

DMH

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Zero in relation to the current pandemic - This has been covered massively over the last twelve months so feel free to g00gle it and make your own judgement.

My own judgement is that Coronavirus did not originate in bats but either originates in monkeys or birds and then jumped species. Some virologists have placed Coronavirus at around 55 million years ago.

65 million years ago the dino roid wiped out most if not all dinosaurs. Birds were one of the few species to survive the dino wipe.

Birds have been around longer than monkeys at 60 million years, monkeys evolved 55 million years ago and bats evovled 50 million years ago.

If virologists are correct about the origins of Coronavirus being 55 million years old, then birds and monkeys would have come in contact with Corona five million years before bats did.

My own judgement is that Coronavirus did not originate in bats but either originates in monkeys or birds and then jumped species. Some virologists have placed Coronavirus at around 55 million years ago.

This document may be of interest to you.

May 21, 2022
Visit site
There is plenty of nonsense about COVID19, like only doctors and vaccines can cure it, or treat it. I am a thirty-two-year survivor of the last great scare and I battled two instances of something and one instance of RSV thanks to my toddler nieces during the height of the pandemic. I am fully recovered now but my medicine was prayer, herbal remedies, appropriate behaviors, and good nutrition. Over the last three decades, I have only utilized doctors and pharmaceuticals for surgical or emergency care, which was about five times. When I was first diagnosed during the great scare before COVID, I refused their standard treatment protocols and never suffered any illness-related issues. Consequently, I refuse to take any prescription drug long-term as a prescription pad did not come attached at birth. Also, I refuse to accept any vaccine of any kind. For me, it is safe to say that only the Creator has sustained me over the past thirty-two years seeing that the "doctors" only gave me six months to a year to live. So to me, the biggest myth out there is that the doctors, the scientists, and their vaccines or pharmaceuticals are the only hope we have of surviving medical crises--real, fabricated, or induced. I acknowledge that they serve a purpose but they are not gods and they do not know everything, even about what they claim to know.

What strikes me is that people who think nothing of driving recklessly or otherwise putting their health at risk from a poor diet, smoking or drugs, nonetheless are panicking over this virus.

All people apply risk to a situation or action and will also evaluate how they would be perceived if they were to either be caught or victim...

Someone that drives recklessly may not believe they are and believe they are in full control, recklessly is the view of others.
People with poor diets often have no choice whether finances or having never really known different... Added to that, realistically no-one would shun you massively because you like a take out burger.
My experience of smokers is they genuinely do not believe there is an issue and will cite some relative that lived to 95 having smoked 100/ day - They are in denial and smoking/ drugs are so acceptable as part of society that people will take the pleasure over the 'minimal' risk...

Collating the above, perhaps people look at covid and can;t see they have control, do not have any pleasure from it and as it is [essentially] new, do not have an experience they can refer to why it is not an issue.