100-year-old origin theory of Stonehenge's iconic Altar Stone could be wrong, scientists say

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
A new analysis of the Altar Stone at Stonehenge suggests it may have come from as far north as Scotland, allowing for "creative thinking" about its archaeological significance.

100-year-old origin theory of Stonehenge's iconic Altar Stone could be wrong, scientists say : Read more
Just curious. At one time the stones were all positioned and forming a basically level top surface all around, as if something was to rest upon these massive slabs of stone. Something very heavy.
Have any tests been done from samples of these cap stones top surfaces? Perhaps the truth is stranger than fiction here. I think maybe more information is needed, which is forthcoming, I'm sure.
As discoveries are added to this mystery, it deepens my increasing amateur imagination when wondering if this structure was purposely built for a specific reason, and not a religious one.

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
You have the circles mixed up... The Bluestones are the (relatively) lighter weight, OUTER circle that came from Wales...I quote ." used to refer to the smaller stones at Stonehenge. These are of varied geology but all came from the Preseli Hills in south-west Wales. Although they may not appear blue, they do have a bluish tinge when freshly broken or when wet. They weigh between 2 and 5 tons each."

Reactions: Giovani

Latest posts