1.7 billion Tyrannosaurus rexes walked the Earth before going extinct, new study estimates

Would it make sense that there was a global warming at that period (volcano generated unless fossilized Fords are found) that may have destroyed part of the remaining plants? Combined with the asteroid post cloud, which could have easily destroyed humongous amount of green nature? If cows (in excess in the planet, due to humans) cause part of current global warming, what about the 1.7 billion T-Rexes and all the billions of other animals that were their diet? Did the herbivores become carnivorous/cannibal when no veggie dinner was available? I wonder if the last dinosaurs were the ones who didn't find a peer to eat and died of hunger.
Scary future :(

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
The climate impact of the T Rex's would depend on their population density at one time, not their total numbers over 2.5 million years. The earlier research that they mentioned suggested that about 20,000 individuals lived at any given time, give or take a factor of 10, and there was probably about 1 individual per 100 square kilometers. The earlier article has more detail than this one.

The climate impact of the T Rex's would depend on their population density at one time, not their total numbers over 2.5 million years. The earlier research that they mentioned suggested that about 20,000 individuals lived at any given time, give or take a factor of 10, and there was probably about 1 individual per 100 square kilometers. The earlier article has more detail than this one.
Thanks for the clarification, bolide2. My apologies for getting the info wrong!

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
The new prediction suggests fewer T. rex individuals roamed our planet than scientists previously thought.

1.7 billion Tyrannosaurus rexes walked the Earth before going extinct, new study estimates : Read more
The figures are impressive, but this doesn't really give an accurate account other than a summation.
My main impression is that there must have been an endless supply of prey and carrion to maintain the appetite of these beasts, and that's just the T-Rex. This can't be understated.
Environment is naturally an aspect of any discussion concerning these creatures. Oxygen at times would have been poisonous to humans in the 30 plus levels. A completely different world. Totals of species doesn't impress me all that much.